living on Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamjamil

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
hello looking for advice from anyone with experience living and working on Utila.

I have decided to do an MSDT course and hope to find work and stay there as long as possible.

how much would accomodation be per month (as cheap as possible!)

roughly how much is the cost of living per month

what are the chances of finding work on the island (either DM or Instructing basically a chance of earning money to stay!!)

if anyone could help with any information it would be sweet

thanks

Hi

I see you are English so am i and i live on Utila and own a PADI IDC center, firstly Utila is a great island ok now to try and answer your questions.

Cost of living, most people who stay here rent a small apartment or house the going rate seems to be around $350 per month, a beer is $0.80 and food costs well to eat out with a beer will be about $5.00 so the cost of living is pretty cheap.

Work, It is just coming into force that you must have a work permit to work on the Island and the cheapest we have had quoted is $400.00 but this does work out cheaper than the old systen as you do not have to leave the country to renew your visa every 6 months,

What i would suggest is come to the island have a good CV and go around the dive shops, if as most instructors are you are a personable guy you have a good chance of getting work, do you speak any other languages that is a good thing here.

If you would like any other info just post it here or message me and i will try to get back to you as soon as possible

Howdy Mate,
Utila, like anywhere else in the world, is what you make it. I came here in 2002. Two and a half years later I know people who arrived at the same time and have bought property and run businesses, and I others who wonder if they'll make the rent. Regardless, they all seem to like it. They're still here.
Good instructors can save money on Utila, in some cases, comparable to the developed world. Divemasters need to rely on their savings. Others, just care about maintaining the laid back lifestyle that they would probably like to keep secret from the rest of the world. If you fall somewhere in between, then you should probably check us out.
Hope this helps and looking forward to your visit.
tex

adamjamil:
hello looking for advice from anyone with experience living and working on Utila.

I have decided to do an MSDT course and hope to find work and stay there as long as possible.

how much would accomodation be per month (as cheap as possible!)

roughly how much is the cost of living per month

what are the chances of finding work on the island (either DM or Instructing basically a chance of earning money to stay!!)

if anyone could help with any information it would be sweet

thanks

Hi Adam,

Like Tex said, Utila is what you make of it, you're doing the right thing though and getting some background research done before you arrival, that'll help you settle in. Definitely bring a copy of your police report from the UK,then the rest of the working permit can be taken care of at this end once you've found employment, it shouldn't take too long either, I've trained over 60 Instructors this year and helped all those stay in the local area find employment.

Nice one for taking the additional training that will definitely help you in your search for employment, maybe consider DAN O2 Instructor, Nitrox Instructor, Gas Blender and also Wreck and Photography are very popular specialties in our dive facility and may be worth considering.

Hope to see you on this beautiful island soon,
Andy

Was there in April 2003. All I need to do to go back is dump the corporate America life and come down there. All I need to do is convince my wife that the house,cars furniture are unimportant. Sounds like the living is cheap. I stayed at Laguna Beach which is definitely upscale for Utila. But wandered around town and understand how someone can stay there at low cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom