Pesto sauce

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jersey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My basil is about 3 ft high, time to make pesto. Fresh, easy no cooking required.

4 cups basil leaves, packed
1 cup toasted pine (pignoli) nuts
1 cup grated cheese - locatelli, romano or other fresh cheese
2 garlic gloves (more or less to taste)
1 cup olive oil (extra virgin)
dash salt & pepper (optional)

Toast nuts on baking sheet under broiler for a few minutes. They should be lite brown.
Place basil, pine nuts & garlic in food processor, puree
Add cheese & a little salt & pepper, puree
Add olive oil last. Add more oil if too paste like, although it should be of thick consistency.

Serve over hot pasta, I prefer angel hair, or as a spread on crusty bread. You can add cooked chicken breast or seafood with the pasta - lobster, clams, or scallops work great.

Enjoy!

Jersey:
My basil is about 3 ft high, time to make pesto. Fresh, easy no cooking required.

4 cups basil leaves, packed
1 cup toasted pine (pignoli) nuts
1 cup grated cheese - locatelli, romano or other fresh cheese
2 garlic gloves (more or less to taste)
1 cup olive oil (extra virgin)
dash salt & pepper (optional)

Toast nuts on baking sheet under broiler for a few minutes. They should be lite brown.
Place basil, pine nuts & garlic in food processor, puree
Add cheese & a little salt & pepper, puree
Add olive oil last. Add more oil if too paste like, although it should be of thick consistency.

Serve over hot pasta, I prefer angel hair, or as a spread on crusty bread. You can add cooked chicken breast or seafood with the pasta - lobster, clams, or scallops work great.

Enjoy!

Substitute sun-dried tomatoes for 2/3's of the basil and you have a special treat...great on toasted Italian or French bread, lobster, scallops and shrimp.

I worked as a head chef in Italian restaurants for almost 20 years (then I wised up and became a SW engineer), and I must say your recipe is right on.
BTW add some cream and make it a creamy pesto, also you can toast the pine nuts in a sautee pan with some olive oil. This helps retain the pine nut oil that is extruded during toasting, this adds to the flavor.
Additionally if you make large batches pesto freezes very nicely.

Originally the cheese should be parmigiano but I prefer pecorino - which is a bit stronger and saltier - so using pecorino I have to remember to add less salt. I also try to use the best olive oil I have - Extra Virgin first squeeze....
Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom