SCUBA sale at Ocean Enterprises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryanarcher

Reaction score
Just heard that OE is having a huge 25th aniversary sale the weekend of Aug 19th-22nd. The cool thing I heard from one of their sales agents wwas that if you buy a tank during the sale (aluminum 80 for $130 not on sale) they will give you an air card good for unlimited air fills for 25 years! Just thought everyone in SD should know about that one! :eyebrow:

That's exactly my point, I will be buying one of those ($139.00 I heard), but shouldn't they use air fills as a source of income. Since so many shop at their local internet dive store (LIDS) these days.

ShakaZulu:
That's exactly my point, I will be buying one of those ($139.00 I heard), but shouldn't they use air fills as a source of income. Since so many shop at their local internet dive store (LIDS) these days.

I would think so too...but as long as I can get 25 years of air I am not complaining! I got air there yesterday and they only filled me to 2800 PSI - is that normal or just a lazy employee?

ShakaZulu:

Well, think of it a different way...

If you are in the store all of the time getting your "free" fills, I'll bet you spend just a tad more also....

If you have to pay for the fills, you might go to a different shop and spend the tad more there instead.

Having worked in dive shops I can tell you there is nearly no margin on tanks. Now that is not to say that you wont find tanks cheaper at shop A versus shop B but the difference will never be that great as there is little wiggle room when it comes to what the shop pays and what they charge.

Free air for life basically ain't a bad deal.

I got air there yesterday and they only filled me to 2800 PSI - is that normal or just a lazy employee?

What happens is the tank hot will read 3000 but will cool to 2800. I always let my tank sit and cool, for 15 minutes and then have them top it off. Some shops are busy and will just slam tanks to get them out the door. Not much you can do about it if you are in a hurry. A gas powered Baur compressor will run you about 3000$ and will fill your tank in 20 minutes.

divinman:
What happens is the tank hot will read 3000 but will cool to 2800. I always let my tank sit and cool, for 15 minutes and then have them top it off. Some shops are busy and will just slam tanks to get them out the door.

That was my concern - I was the only person in there getting air. One guy forgot to turn on one knob and it took about 30 minutes total since someone else had to finish the tank. They gave it to me for free...and I only got to use 1400 PSI on my dive anyway (dove with someone not too good on air intake) so it didn't matter.

I see what you mean about spending more money in a shop while you get air...that is the case for sure! I will buy things in a shop while I am getting air...it's just the easiest time to get stuff.

I told my wife about the free air for 25 years, yeah she laughed at me, and some smart comment like "yeah we can use it for 6 months then what?" well du? we got a tank or 2. im still leaning on her though. she just might break since Im not going get a thicked wetsuit anytime soon

WillHarm:
I told my wife about the free air for 25 years, yeah she laughed at me, and some smart comment like "yeah we can use it for 6 months then what?" well du? we got a tank or 2. im still leaning on her though. she just might break since Im not going get a thicked wetsuit anytime soon

I told my wife too and she was quickly doing the math of how often I would have to get the free air fills in order to make it pay off for itself.

Back
Top Bottom