What about renting a Nikonos??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm thinking about leaving all my camera gear home and renting a NiikV on a liveaboard. Have any of you tried this? Will I be insufficient at it's operation because I'm used to a housed camera? I've been using the same camera for nearly twenty years on one or two trips per year. Lugging all my gear to the far side of the world is one answer, my wife thinks I should just rent and save the pain of lugging and security checks.
Help.

Caymaniac :11:

No, No, No, No.

Take your own equipment. You are already familiar with it and will get the best results with it.

I tend to agree with the above comments. Here is my reasoning:

1. Housings are supreme for macro work
2. More accurate framing. The Nikonos with separate viewfinder can cause parralax errors.
3. For the cost of a Niknonos system rental you could purchase another strobe, port or lens for your housing.

If these things aren't important to you, then go ahead and rent a Nikonos. However, I would only rent it with a 15 or 20mm lens. UW Nikkor wide angle optics are unmatched. Just make sure you know how to use the viewfinder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom