catalina water temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillHarm

Registered
Reaction score
So what kinda temps out at Catalina. About the same as San Diego? I gota birthday Sunday and I think the wife would think that is a awsome late gift, like next weekend!

WillHarm:
So what kinda temps out at Catalina. About the same as San Diego? I gota birthday Sunday and I think the wife would think that is a awsome late gift, like next weekend!

Last weekend, on the backside, the lowest temp I recorded was 64 at about 70 feet -- the computer may still have been counting down, but it was not uncomfortable.

The weekend before at the Isthmus (Bird Rock, Isthmus Reef), I found temps between 67-71 above 40 feet.

When I was at Catalina (near the quarry/old pier) about a month ago, per my Suunto computer it was 71 at the surface and 68 at about 30 feet (same as the Tuesday dive at La Jolla). When I dove it in May it was considerably cooler, mid 60's to about 40 feet, then a chilly mid 50's below that.

Temps have been variable. Surface temps 71 to 75 (incredibly warm for a not-yet-El Nino year), variable at depth from about 53 to 67 depending on depth and day. The thermocline seems to be moving vertically so one day you may have 65 at 60 ft., the next 57. In general, quite nice and toasty.

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom