Local dive shop in Venice CA, refuses to fill tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aerodog

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got back from a dive store in Venice, CA where the owner let me know, REAL CLEAR, what he felt about where I bought my last two scuba tanks. One was mail order, the other was from Sport Chalet. Basically told me to take my business elsewhere. Never have I had this kind of treatment. Its not like I had been in his store before, wasted his time with equipment questions, and then purchased gear from someone else.

Not to worry, how long do you think he will stay in business with that attitude. Adapt or die, the business model have changed.

Aerodog:
I just got back from a dive store in Venice, CA where the owner let me know, REAL CLEAR, what he felt about where I bought my last two scuba tanks. One was mail order, the other was from Sport Chalet. Basically told me to take my business elsewhere. Never have I had this kind of treatment. Its not like I had been in his store before, wasted his time with equipment questions, and then purchased gear from someone else.
It's their loss. The Great American Dive Company here in St. Louis basicly told me I was not allowed to enter their store because I took a class from another shop. It seems some people don't even want to make money....

James

Are you all kidding? Are these people morons? I would make sure you post their websites and tell every diver you know about them. I go to a local dive shop in Kentucky and these guys are great. They get a lot of their business by just being nice to people. Their professionalism and kindness will keep me as a client even if someone does have slightly cheaper prices. As Shakazulu said how long do they expect to be in business? I would wager it won't be long.

icyman:
Are you all kidding?
Not kidding at all. I had gone on a Cozumel trip with this store, taken rescue and cavern there and sent them 2 new OW students just a short time before. I emailed them because I wanted to take the DAN DEMP course and they told me I would not be allowed to take it. Called and asked why and the owner told me it was because of the class I'm taking with the other shop and since he's had "some problems" with the other shop I would not be allowed on the premises...

The owner is a nutjob, plain and simple.

James

Tell us which store so we can reward them for their business savvy by taking ours elsewhere.

icyman:
Are you all kidding? Are these people morons? I would make sure you post their websites and tell every diver you know about them. I go to a local dive shop in Kentucky and these guys are great. They get a lot of their business by just being nice to people. Their professionalism and kindness will keep me as a client even if someone does have slightly cheaper prices. As Shakazulu said how long do they expect to be in business? I would wager it won't be long.

There are technically two real shops in Venice, CA (the REAL Venice, for you Florida-dites...not far from the REAL Hollywood.) I know both of these guys. One is a complete sweetheart and the other can be a little jerky.

We're only hearing one side of the story here. Some balance and tact is in order.

That said, if he won't fill ya, ther are several within 10 minutes of Venice that will.

K

James Goddard:
Not kidding at all. I had gone on a Cozumel trip with this store, taken rescue and cavern there and sent them 2 new OW students just a short time before. I emailed them because I wanted to take the DAN DEMP course and they told me I would not be allowed to take it. Called and asked why and the owner told me it was because of the class I'm taking with the other shop and since he's had "some problems" with the other shop I would not be allowed on the premises...

The owner is a nutjob, plain and simple.

James

Thats crazy, emotions make a poor manager. Not only does he lose your business for one stupid class, he loses yours and as many people as you can tell business FOREVER. Really BAD business.

Mo2vation:
There are technically two real shops in Venice, CA (the REAL Venice, for you Florida-dites...not far from teh REAL Hollywood.) I know both of these guys. One is a complete sweetheart and the other can be a little jerky.

We're only hearing on e side of the story here. Some balance and tact is in order.

That said, if he won't fill ya, ther are several within 10 minutes of Venice that will.

K

Good point

Mo2vation:
There are technically two real shops in Venice, CA (the REAL Venice, for you Florida-dites...not far from teh REAL Hollywood.)
K

I, too, did the math on this one when I read it...and now I'm curious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom