PNW Equipement Check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WarmGoingCold

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this might need to go in the equipement section, but I actually wanted to check with PNW divers on my equipement setup. You guys of course have dove this area, and you know what the specific equipement needs are.

I am getting ramped up to dive in this area, and outside of purchasing a dry suit and get certified on that, I own everything that I think I will need. I know I will also need to purchase a few safety items. I just wanted to make sure that everything was adequate for cold water diving.

BC-Dacor Talon
Reg-Dacor Viper Gold
Suunto Cobra DC
Fins--The big yellow blades--the damn strap broke on one of my cozumel dives....what a bummer
Dacor Mask

I ams ure the mask, fins, and comp are fine, but what about the BC and reg? Is there anything here that I listed that is absolutely not suited for this area? I am a fairly NEW diver.

Thanks!

I don't know about the stuff you listed... but the stuff you didn't list is really important... top of the list being exposure protection... and here in the PNW a drysuit is sure nice.

Despite the perponderance of Zeagle Ranger BC's and Apollo Bio-fins in the area (it's eeire), I'm fairly sure that any set of BC/regs/fins that you're comfortable with will be just fine. The water's not warm, but I haven't had my reg freeze up or anything like that...

The drysuit will make a huge difference in the wintertime (when the viz is a lot better), especially when you're sitting in a skiff, motoring back from a dive site in the rain... But in the summertime? On a shore dive in 90 deg heat like we've been having? Not really a problem--in fact, I kind of miss getting wet!

Everything you've got will do just fine up here, especially if you're comfortable in the gear. I dove last winter with a buddy still using a horsecollar BC and his first reg from when he was certified here in the late 70's. Your gear is considerably nicer than that :)

The only freeze-ups I've heard of up here on regulators have been guys doing river dives. Not to say it doesn't happen, but I dive year 'round, and haven't ever had a problem.

A couple of points
- Make sure your reg has enough ports for that drysuit hose. My girlfriend's first regulator didn't, so we replaced that and made the old one a pony or argon reg.

- Make sure you can carry enough weight if you're weight integrated. Drysuits are a lot more buoyant that tropical wet suits. Some smaller weight integrated BCs may need a weight belt as well...

- Spring straps work wonders for getting your fins on and off when you're saddled up with lots of gear and weight. If you've got a broken strap, it's a perfect excuse to replace the draw straps with a pair of springs. Don't know why I suffered for as long as I did without them. Not a "necessary" item, but boy, did it make getting into and out of the water a lot more fun.

- Dry gloves - if you have to buy a drysuit, consider these, as the cost is small relative to the drysuit purchase. They're easy enough to add later, but it's probably even easier to do at the start. Summer time, they're hardly necessary, and winter's not bad (I spent my first winter in 5mm wet gloves), but it's rather unpleasant to put that wet neoprene back on for the second or third dive of the day, at least for the first few moments.

Otherwise, hook yourself up with a good dive shop or dive club - there are quite a few around Bellevue and the Eastside - and start diving! It's amazing how active the divers in this region are.

Cal71:
On a shore dive in 90 deg heat like we've been having? Not really a problem--in fact, I kind of miss getting wet!
The only thing worse than sweltering in a 7mil wetsuit on a 90 deg sunny summer day while waiting for everyone else to get geared up... is struggling into a cold wet 7mil wetsuit for the second dive on a 35 deg sleeting winter day.

TIP: dry or wet... if it is a hot day wade into the water (or jump over the side) before donning your scuba rig. The evaporation will keep you nice and cool while gearing up and waiting for the slow pokes.

Camerone:
- Make sure you can carry enough weight if you're weight integrated. Drysuits are a lot more buoyant that tropical wet suits. Some smaller weight integrated BCs may need a weight belt as well...

Also, while talking about BC's, make sure your BC has enough lift to hold it, your weights (if WI) and the tank. A friend found out her small BC could not.

Very good tip on the drygloves also. They are very nice to have in the PNW. They can be added to most suits quite easily.

MD

Warm Going Cold,

Welcome, I like you am a recent (Jan 04) transplant to the area and had to make the transition from Caribbean waters back to the cold.

I am in the Redmond area and if you want to get together and dive, let me know.

Just PM me or email to mtlavery25@hotmail.com

The only issue I had moving to colder water was the amount of lift my original BC had (Oceanic Flex wasn't enough, SeaQuest Balance fixed the problem).

You missed a couple of things:

A big light - it may be daylight topside, but it sure can get dark in our murky waters. The visibility can also get bad quickly and so your light can be one good way for your buddy to locate you. On the good side its also really great for locating the critters that like to hide in crevices etc.

A compass - Sure natural navigation works well most of the time, its when it doesn't that a compass really comes in handy. Particularly at places like Edmonds UW park, where there is not a strong slope and you need to find your way back if the visibility is bad. I'd recommend the suunto SK7. It has a 30 degree tilt tolerence which makes it much easier to use.

On the dry suit front most stores have rentals, and will include the rental with a class. The DUI demo days are also really soon, so if you want to try different suits, thats a good oppertunity.

sam

samsp:
You missed a couple of things:

A big light - it may be daylight topside, but it sure can get dark in our murky waters. The visibility can also get bad quickly and so your light can be one good way for your buddy to locate you. On the good side its also really great for locating the critters that like to hide in crevices etc.

A compass - Sure natural navigation works well most of the time, its when it doesn't that a compass really comes in handy. Particularly at places like Edmonds UW park, where there is not a strong slope and you need to find your way back if the visibility is bad. I'd recommend the suunto SK7. It has a 30 degree tilt tolerence which makes it much easier to use.

On the dry suit front most stores have rentals, and will include the rental with a class. The DUI demo days are also really soon, so if you want to try different suits, thats a good oppertunity.

sam

Hey all! Thanks for the tips. I got a sunnto compass as part of my Cobra package, its an added guage on the console. As for the dry suit, I am 6'7", so renting, or even trying out is not really an option for a guy my size. When and where are the DUI demo's, and do you think there might be a chance they would have something on site in my size?

Diver Mike, I appreciate the offer! Unfortunatly, I don't have a dry suit or cert yet, but once I get those things taken care of, I will send you some mail!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom