making split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I was wondering if you cut a regular fin in half would it work as good as a split fin. I have an xtra set of fins so im gonna try it out soon. has anyone ever tried it yet? if so what was the result?

Funny you should say that, my Space Frog's cracked and now I have split fins..........they don't work as well I may add.

Stingray81888:
I was wondering if you cut a regular fin in half would it work as good as a split fin. I have an xtra set of fins so im gonna try it out soon. has anyone ever tried it yet? if so what was the result?

Yes, I've split a couple sets of the old USD Blades & a set of SeaQuest Conquests(?). Wife was not real happy about her conquests until she tried them.

If you take a look at a pair of splits, you'll see that they use alternating strips of different materials to make the blades twist as you kick. They've also got a large tube along the edges to keep them rigid along the length of the fin as they twist about the width. Without those features, I don't think a split fin would work too well.

It would probably do as much good as just cutting half of the end off of your fin. The pieces would just flutter around and not do much for propulsion.

An inverse answer to your question is Duct Tape. Works wonders for splits... though still not as good as a Jets or Turtles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom