digtal camera.. which one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mako Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have the chance to get a digital camera of my choice for free in exchange for a camcorder I dont use anymore.

I am thinking of the slim cybershot 5 meg, cause I like sony and it is small enough with housing to fit in a drysuit pocket.

give me advice you paparazzi types

I too have been reading all of the stuff on here and I would like some help in trying to figure out which Digital camera is the best one for underwater photos. I have had my eye on the canon rebel for over a year now but I don't know about the housing which costs around 1200 from ikelight. Whats everyone think would be a good camera for both land and sea?

Don't know anything about this subject, from my research, the Olympus (C5060, C8080) guys seems to be very happy............Don't forget about the housing, they are exspensive, and so is the strobes. You should also think of flood insurance, DAN has some through a third party. I'm not paparazzi, pepperoni all the way.

If ya'll would look at the stickies at the top of this forum, you'll see one for getting started with digitals. Also do a search for beginning or new cameras.

We answer these questions several time a week so there are lots of posts about it in very recent history. Cruise around and read them!

Olympus gets high marks, as does Canon. Read both those forums.

mark, are you going to get a tray and external strobe? you'll probably want to go
with an Oly 5050 or a Canon S500 (both 5 MP)

if you want something small with internal flash, it's hard to beat the Canon S500. for a bit less, you can get the Canon S400 (they use the same case). for something even cheaper and smaller, the Canon SD110 (3.2 MP) is awesome.

Love my Olympus with an Ikelite Housing! When I upgrade it will be within the same family!

ReneeC:
Love my Olympus with an Ikelite Housing! When I upgrade it will be within the same family!

I don't think you can go wrong with either Olympus or Canon. I used to own an Oly C700, for which there was no housing for a long time, alas until I had purchased my Canon S1is and WPDC-20 housing. I am know waiting to see how big my tax reimbursement will be so I can start looking at strobes.

Unless you're planning on only taking underwater pictures, you'd be well advised on focusing on a camera which will fulfill your everyday needs and build the UW infrastructure around that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom