Almeria, Spain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

computerdiver

Registered
Reaction score
My great-grandfather came to America in 1917, he came on a ship called Luisiana. I went searching, and forund that is was sunk near Almeria, Spain. Is there a dive shop near there that knows where exactly it was sunk, because I would like to dive it.

Not sure if this is the Luisiana, as the site hasn´t given it a name. The problem you will have finding wrecks in this area, is the depth. Within a few kilometres off shore, it can drop to 2500 metres...and it´s used as a submarine training ground.
But try this link...it´s a 100 metre long merchant ship that sank in 1920´s...if it is the Luisiana, you will be able to dive it.
http://www.isubsanjose.com/eng/index.htm

Hope it helps...

Done a quick search...it´s not the Luisiana, as she was sunk by a German U-boat...it´s likely she sank in a depth that you won´t be able to reach...but I´ll keep trying and see what we can come up with...

Your welcome...had a chat with a few guys todays, none of them new about it...although they do all their diving in one particular area...it is within the Almeria coastline, which isn´t the longest in the world. Again the problem is the depth so close to sure.
I´ll try and find some maps, I know a guy who has a few, they often show wrecks without names...Another thought I had is too see if any of the local fisherman have lost nets at one particular site, I may be plucking at straws, but you never know...I´ve seen quite a few in the past months between 18 - 30 metres.
I´ll see what I can find...don´t be too hopeful...as I´ve said, it´s very deep out here...

Sorry it´s been a while since the last message. I haven´t been able to find anything on the Luisiana, found a new wreck site on the web called ShipWreckCentral...tried several searches, no info avaliable. Might be worth keeping an eye out on here from time to time, as wrecks are found they will be added.
http://www.shipwreckcentral.com/map/index.php

If I ever do hear anything, you will be the first to know...
All the best...

Pete

Hi Ben, sadley I´m quite a few hours away from Sevilla, an north of Almeria and two hours south of Alicante.
Having been trying to find the Wreck of the Luisiana, without any joy, I found five U-boats off Cartagena which are all diveable. I´m gonna put it to the club, and see who´s up for it. If there half descent dives I´ll post a Trip Report. Anytime you get over this way [ and it is out of your way ] and fancy a dip I´ll try and get something organised.

Dive Safe mate...
Pete

Back
Top Bottom