Help with new fin purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diehl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi I'm very new to this so here goes. I went to sign up for my class that starts next month and was trying on fins. I like the Mares Quattro and tryed a regular and Xlarge one on. The regular I tryed without a boot and my toe still was hitting the end of the fin. My shoe size is 11. The Xlarge seemed OK but I don't know what to look for. The guy at the lds said it looked OK but he was a kid and not sure of his expierence? I told them to put it on hold for me till Tuesday. The dive instructor will be there and I will ask her opinion. You guys that have the same foot size as me what size fin do you use?

My shoe size is 11 and I wear a Medium fin (AquaLung). The rule of thumb is to ensure that the top of the fin ends where your ankle begins..

With size 11 you'll definately be in the regular - not the XL. And if I could - I'd try to talk you into some split fins over the quattros...

scubatoys:
With size 11 you'll definately be in the regular - not the XL. And if I could - I'd try to talk you into some split fins over the quattros...

Which split fins would give me the added thrust? I have heard split fins are not known for thrust?

I would offer EXACTLY the opposite advice of Larry - stay away from the split fins, and personally with a size 12 and wetsuit boots, I have XL Quattros.

No disrespect to Larry, but the man does sell gear and by putting a split into the fin, you may decrease efficiency, but you increase efficiency in price margin! (Sorry Larry!)

Heck, after trying Quattro's, blades, splits, and a number of others, I genuinely fell in love with the old stand by - Scubapro Jets. I can't wear them with my drysuit boots so I have Turtles, but consider that, too. They're also cheaper than Quattro's.

And while Larry is pushing split fins, let me also spam the board by saying if you DO get Quattro's, I know where you can get a great set of spring straps for cheap. :p

:) :) :)

Well here's the deal... Every test that has been done that I've read has shown the split fins rate as the fastest... but then again - who races underwater... but also in tests when divers swam a course at a constant speed over a given distance, the air savings for divers using split fins was huge... about 30% less air used.

I did not believe any of that stuff... so one of my vendors - Apollo - sent me an underwater speedometer and told me to test for myself... so I did. I have not found a fin that will take me any distance faster than the Apollo bio fins - and with less effort. And I tested with and against current in Cozumel, calm water in cayman, and dry suit diving in texas lakes.

Also I've been able to do some good tests on divers as I'm a Naui Course Director, and our DM and Instructor candidates have to do a timed snorkel swim... They all take a few cracks at it to get the time down... so we have them try different fins. The Bios are consistently faster, and the divers suffer far less fatigue and leg cramps.

I've got some Bio's and Quattro's and a bunch of others sitting by our pool - and invite anyone to jump in and compare - or take a pair out to the lake.

If the technology didn't work, why would the fin that was started by Apollo now be copied by Tusa, Aeris, ScubaPro, Genesis, Sherwood, Atomic.. and on and on.

The Volo's go for more money than the splits - so if selling the most expensive fins was my goal... I'd push those... but that would be a bit of hypocrisy on my part as if you ever run into me out diving - I'll guarantee you see me in splits - and I can dive anything I want.

You can listen to opinions on a board all day long - but the only real test is hop in the water with them. If you do... let me know the results. (although I know already! :wink: )

I only "push split fins" because they push me :crafty:

Because you don't flutter kick in DIR. You frog kick - which uses far less air, effort and energy than any sort of flutter kick with split fins.

You also have more control in the water column with non-splits, including the ability to back up without using your hands.

Furthermore, they provide more thrust, which may prove important later on if you're diving in a technical environment. If you're ever trying to push a set of steel doubles and stage bottles around, you'd realize split fins are useless.

I recognize most divers will never touch stage bottles and doubles, but a) with the amount of crap some divers carry around with them underwater, it's awfully close, and b) the idea behind DIR is that one gear configuration will work, no matter what level of diving you're doing. In the end it proves to be far more efficient and less taxing on your pocketbook.

Size 12 (or 13's depending on maker) shoes. I have a pair of XL Quatros. They fit fine with boots on. I bought my lady (5'6", 120 lbs.) a pair of Volo's (got em for 40 bucks, used) and she likes em so far but makes eyes at the splits everytime she sees them.

The instructor dives Quatros, DM's were in Tigers, Staff mostly were in splits. Don't know why it broke down that way but it did. Class and fun divers were mostly in splits.

I wish I could of tried out both sets before my purchase and plan on getting a set of splits when I buy again just so I can lessen my tendancy to cramp (ham and quad cramps are a way of life with me). Those with splits never had any problems with cramps, those of us with the full blades did have a higher tendancy to cramp.

I guess one lady who was fun diving with us said it best "I am faster and don't tire as easy with my splits, I'll never go back to the others". It was her first weekend with the splits.

I agree with Larry on trying out each style, wish I would of had this chance.

Hey larry what do yoou think of the volos or tigers compared to splits?? They seem to be trying to accoplish the same thing.And do you have another store besides texas???

To the poster of the thread: I Just recieved some volos for my b-day, and just purchased a pair of jetfins off ebay. I havn't tried the jetfins yeet as they came today,but i did try the volos and this is my opinion.

THe Volos were very light on my feet and with a Flutter kick they were very easy to kick. They have good acceleration and it is easier to sustain speed with very little effort.
I was using 9 year old S.P blade style and my legs just couldnt take them anymore. I no longer get cramps or sore and i use a bit let gas throuout the dive now. Frog kicking with the volos can be done but you dont a get a huge push they are too soft. However if try frog kicking with a easy stroke they work a little better. The volos dont seem to have as much control in tight places ( between boulders with surge)
as my older blades did though, its a bit harder to stay in one spot with them. I really like the volos and will post again when i get a chance to dive th eJET FINS (prob this week)

Its always best to try the diffrent pairs out. It will save you alot of $$$$$$$

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom