Yet another Poacher caught San Pedro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pasley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hmmm... for the first time in my memory, I observed a garibaldi dying in the Dive Park today. Encountered it on two successive dives, then it was gone on the third. Fortunately it appeared to be old age rather than a spear.

Will be happy to write regarding this case (and the lobster poacher). These aren't "alleged" incidents since they were caught red-handed. Throwing the book at them isn't good enough. I'd throw their spears at them... over and over and over.

Doc

I wish we could stone them!

Looks like they violated 8598. I wonder if that is 2-5k per fish? Or about half a million at the lowest fine level!

Taken from the California Fish and Game Codes

8598. (a) Notwithstanding Section 8140 or subdivision (b) of
Section 8597, specimens of the following groups or species shall not be taken, possessed aboard a boat, or landed for commercial purposes:
(F) Garibaldi--Hypsypops rubicundus.

8598.6. Notwithstanding Section 12000, a violation of this article or any regulation adopted thereunder is punishable by a fine of not less than two thousand dollars ($2,000) or more than five thousand dollars ($5,000).

drbill:
Hmmm... for the first time in my memory, I observed a garibaldi dying in the Dive Park today. Encountered it on two successive dives, then it was gone on the third. Fortunately it appeared to be old age rather than a spear.

Will be happy to write regarding this case (and the lobster poacher). These aren't "alleged" incidents since they were caught red-handed. Throwing the book at them isn't good enough. I'd throw their spears at them... over and over and over.

Doc

Wow sorry but thats cool... I wish i could of saw that... I mean fish die, but to watch one from natural reason in water is a once in a life time chance....
thats its at the plump agea of 22 im quiting work and moveing to catalina to dive all day... :eyebrow:

edit: ohh yeah to the Fish Killers... they should make them eat them all this fish in one sitting.... And no de-boning

and White's Point, of all places. Gag! Eating them might be an appropriate punishment after all.

Back
Top Bottom