Catalina Surface Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, this is kinda about scuba, except without air tanks and regulators, just the mask and snorkel and fins.

We were at Lover's Cove yesterday doing some snorkeling and it was GREAT !!! Just a few feet offshore there is kelp, tons of garibadi, schools of fish, and other underwater stuff.

But my jaw dropped when those idiots drove their huge glass bottom boats right thru the group of snorkelers. Everyone is so busy looking down they don't notice a boat coming at them. A girl I was with got close to the rear of one of the boats accidentally, the idiot gunned his engine, and I grabbed her fin, yanked her back, then grabbed her arm and swam her out of there. It's INSANE !!! They've got to have near misses or accidents there every week. And if you get there after the boats have started coming thru in the morning the visibility drops like crazy when they stir up the bottom.

Anyway, my recommendation is that if you plan to go snorkeling at Lover's Cove, take the early ferry and get your snorkeling in before 10 or 11 am.

Actually the glassbottom boats have right of way in Lover's Cove. Does make the snorkeling quite difficult at times. Amazingly I'm not aware of a single incident, at least during the time I've consulted for one of the companies that runs tours there.

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom