Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adolphus Busch, Florida

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Bibb, Florida

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BIGJC

Reaction score
Anybody dove this wreck in San Diego? Is it worth the trip? It looks like a good dive..

I made two dives on the Yukon last June. I am not wreck certified and did not penetrate. Those are probably the only dives I will make on the Yukon unless I take my wife. I'm glad I checked it out, but I prefer abundant sea-life. The Yukon is pretty sterile. . . a few small brown fish and some kelp. Wreck certified divers probably have a blast. It is definitely a Nitrox dive.

I dove the HMCS Yukon on 8 Jun 01. The sand was at 100 fsw and the top of the wreck (starboard side of the ship) was at 60 fsw. The temp was 65F on the surface, and 55F below the thermocline (20 fsw). I dove with Dive Connection Inc., but there are several other operations right there on Mission Bay.

Here's a Yukon Link

Give the Yukon some time. In the colder California waters, marine growth will take a while. Sea life will probably be there long before for any growth has occured.

On my first dive of the Busch in the Keys, it was a boring dive. Nothing on the boat with a drab sandy bottom (and low Viz to boot). Three years later the Busch is alive! It has marine growth, with all kinds of fishes both large and small. Shells are on the deck. This is now a mature wreck dive not to be missed. Since the bottom is only 100 feet it is a dive all OW divers can make.

Get your AOW if you want to dive the Thunderbolt or the Duane/Bibb. These are deeper dives (130+ feet). Currents are stiff most of the time but these dives is well worth the preparation.

I actually dove the HMCS Yukon last year - 2 weeks after she went down.

At that time they were still not recommending penetration - even if you did "know" what you were doing. As the vessel did not sink as was desired (instead of straight down it's on its side). I believe due to dead-ends instead of clear passages ways, and the disorienting feeling you'd get because of the sideway position, divers were making mistakes. And they were not returning from the dives.

The dive itself was not difficult, my dive buddy (a real nice chap from Colorado)and I had a great dive.

I got a real chuckle that as a Canadian I had to go to the States to dive on a Canadian vessel.

we are planning to go down to San Diego and dive it. Any recommendations re: dive operators?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom