Big Rock, Malibu- Any takers??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What time? I am a definate "maybe" and probably not, but we will see.

South Bay has been small & calm for the last 2 days. Malaga Cove & other sheltered West facing beaches should be fine if Malibu picks up.

Can anyone give a first hand report from the Big Rock area?

Roland

Big Rock is great place to dive.....lots of life!!

origanally posted by scubainspired:

"Dive Location:Big Rock, Malibu
Time:8 AM
Bottom Time:40
Max Depth:40
Vis:15'-20'
Wave height:1'-2'
Temp at depth:66 Degrees
Surface Temp:77 Degrees
Tide information:
Comments:

Wow, I was amazed at what an easy and great dive this was. I would recommend this dive for beginners (I am one). At entry there are a lot of rocks, however, the surf was low which made it easy. The Reefs here are great … some of the animals I saw were Bat Rays, Round Rays, tons of Stripe Bass, and Baby Garibaldi. If you’re new to the dive site at the beach you will see a large rock and about 100 yards to the left a small one sticking out of the water. GO to this rock and dive 150 degrees."

We did 2 dives there last weekend....wasnt crowded and alot of fun.

So who will be there on Fri -20th????

http://cdip.ucsd.edu/models/santa_monica.gif
http://www.wetsand.com/wavecast/wc-...11C26AE57DF0F1A80D723F994E3B4754914BA4833B7A3
The swell is comming in from the South 180 degrees. That means north facing beachs like Malaga Cove and Hagarities are good. Beaches protected by the islands and the PV penninsula are also good. South facing beaches are surffers heaven now. (PV Long Point (old Marineland) is marginal to rough right now according to the swell model.

I can not picture exactly where Big Rock is in the Santa Monica Bay but it looks like the Channel Islands and PV are blocking the swell from the bay.

Wet Sands Surf Forecast. Not this is for surfers so good for them is our bad day.

CURRENT CONDITIONS
Today (Tuesday) our new SW swell is rolling in on schedule, but a few factors are hindering size in some areas. Extremely long periods (20 sec.), a direct southerly angle (180), and early morning negative tide are not helping things this morning.

In SoCal, south facing breaks are doing best. Break that aren’t hindered by the 180-degree angle of this swell from island blockage or other mitigating factors are seeing mostly chest high sets with long lulls between sets. Occasionally some head high set waves are coming through at breaks with good shoaling and refraction for this particular swell’s angle and periodicity. West facing breaks, especially those in SD and LA are having a tough time pulling in any diffraction and are meagerly knee to waist.

So the bottom line is, it could be rough, or it could be ok on the swell but vis will most likely suffer.

What time are we meeting. I am available all day.

Back
Top Bottom