Benchmark U/W Video setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hantzu701

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a benchmark U/W video setup for recreational divers?

I'd like to get a camcorder and U/W housing for 0-130ft. I plan to use it on recreational dive trips. I'm not planning to attach a HID or external light system at this time. I was looking into getting a $300 Sony camcorder w/ a $400 housing, but I thought that I should see what everyone else was using. No point in getting a $400 housing if its a pain to use and going to flood anyway.

hantzu701:
Is there a benchmark U/W video setup for recreational divers?

I'd like to get a camcorder and U/W housing for 0-130ft. I plan to use it on recreational dive trips. I'm not planning to attach a HID or external light system at this time. I was looking into getting a $300 Sony camcorder w/ a $400 housing, but I thought that I should see what everyone else was using. No point in getting a $400 housing if its a pain to use and going to flood anyway.

Do a search for your housing choice. I use amphibicos (for over 8 years) and love 'em. O/I, Gates, Ike and others are very good. A friend has an Ike and adores it. You'll find followers for all.

I have only used a Sony housing once when they were still enormous!! It was fine, but I think there are probably better choices out there...

alcina:
Do a search for your housing choice. I use amphibicos (for over 8 years) and love 'em. O/I, Gates, Ike and others are very good. A friend has an Ike and adores it. You'll find followers for all.

I have only used a Sony housing once when they were still enormous!! It was fine, but I think there are probably better choices out there...

I looked at the amphibicos, but they're like $1,200 USD. The models that I have looked at also do not have a separate LCD screen to help w/ framing. No idea of how important that is underwater, but I can imagine that framing the shot w/ just the viewfinder is tough. I think the ideal recreational setup is a good housing with two average quality video camcorders (~$300). That way, when the housing floods, the vacation isn't ruined since you have another camcorder.

Back
Top Bottom