Best scuba gear for photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Sky Dave

Registered
Reaction score
Seeking advice on the best scuba gear (not camera gear) for photography, characteristics, brands, models - regulator, bcd, fins etc. If you were putting together a package specifically for the underwater photographer what would you include, and why?

Thanks

Big Sky Dave:
Seeking advice on the best scuba gear (not camera gear) for photography, characteristics, brands, models - regulator, bcd, fins etc. If you were putting together a package specifically for the underwater photographer what would you include, and why?

Thanks

You're gonna get as many opinions as people, but I would buy exactly what I have......Seaquest XR2 regs (if they made tham anymore, they don't APeks are similar), no bubble interference. Backplate and wings, very stable in all positions and easy to hold buoyancy for those hard to get shots. Minimal "Stuff" in front to get in the way of the camera. Jetfins for micro propulsion and adjustments as well as power when needed. SP frameless black skirt mask

Chris

Thanks, but duh, is that a sherwood avid, a seaquest pro, or what? I've been away from this for 14 years and haven't kept up on models or specs. What's a backplate with wings?
thanks
Dave

Like Chrism said - you'll get a ton of different ideas...we all have our pet equipment.

I personally like a bcd that allows me to put weight in my shoulders - it's the most comfy for me in all orientations. I use a SeaQuest Spec IV (not available anymore sadly) and I love it...my bcd also has to have adequate pockets and d-rings.

Think streamlined as much as possible.

For me, the fewer hoses, the better so I use an Alladin hoseless computer. My reg is my trusty Oceanic Omega2 - wouldn't trade it for a pot of gold but some hate it. No bubble problems with side valve.

Knives, dive tools are not leg ornaments. Attach a small one to your hose or keep in your pocket/pouch etc. If you dive anywhere entanglements are a concern, you'll want a good set of shears. YMMV

Try some on - there are 100s of choices and only you can decide what suits you the best. Good luck.

All the answers so far are excellent. Personally I also prefer to use a Seaquest XR2 reg, FredT backplate with Deep Outdoors wing (bladder), and Apollo Bio split fins. All that said, to me the piece of gear that makes the biggest difference in my photography is a mask with a black skirt. It eliminates any light from the sides, I don't get any distracting shadows or movement. I can focus completely on what's in front of me.

I've seen good photographers in all kinds and types of gear, it's all what you are comfortable with. Your diving skills, especially pin point accurate bouyancy, make more difference than the gear you use.

Thanks alot Leesa. I had no idea there were such things as backplates and wings. Or that they could engender such heated discussions.

Big Sky Dave:
Thanks alot Leesa. I had no idea there were such things as backplates and wings. Or that they could engender such heated discussions.

LOL, crazy, ain't it? Sorry I wasn't clear in my post, but Alcina Leesa and Dee have cleared it up for me :)

Alcina mentions computers. I like mine on my wrist, and compass on the other, for easy reference when taking pics, just glance down.

SHe is also spot on about getting as streamlines as possible. Good advice for any diving.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom