Housing for Nikon Coolpix 4300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, here goes one that everyone will have something to say on, I'm confident.

Last May I had my Fantasea housing leak and destroy my Coolpix 4300. After several months of constant calling and emails, Fantasea is finally sending me a replacement camera and housing.

So, here's the question.

Should I test their housing again and then trust it if it passes the test or should I get an Ikelite housing at much greater cost? I had tested the housing before the last leak issue and it had passed.

Also, are there other housings out there for this camera? So far, I have only found the Fantasea and the Ikelite.

Thanks

Well, I have been using the Fantasea for the last year and a half with no problems so far. I am not sure why the housing flooded but personally, I have had no problem with mine. I suggest that before you take the housing down, do a check by putting into a tank of water to see if there is any leakage. Also, make sure that there is no lint caught in the o-ring and make sure that you put a little silicon gel on the o-ring on each day of diving (not each dive). The gel will make sure that the o-ring is not dry and will usually ensure a tight seal. The Fantasea's o-ring requires some adjustment to ensure it sits tight in the groove, so make sure that is done properly.

Flooding usually occurs when the o-ring is not sitting properly in its groove, or when there is lint/particles stuck in the seal itself so doing a check after latching the housing helps (since it is transparent).

Do you still have faith in that brand of housing? That's a call only you can make. I read alot of stories about Fantasea housings flooding and problems with the warranty. But as with anything else, for every bad review there are good ones...we just hear about the bad ones.

Is your piece of mind worth the extra cost of the Ikelite? No housing in immune to floods.

Sorry...this is one you have to decide yourself!

Do a real pressure test. Before I put any camera in a new housing I take it with me on a dive, empty. If it's ok there, then I should have no problem with a camera in it.

I've had no problems with that same set-up of a 4300 and Fantasea housing.........Thats a pretty good seal they use verses a standard o-ring....

Oh yeah, only 1 problem I had with the set-up, is when it slipped off my wrist in Maui and float float floated away.........

I'll have my next set-up weighted so it's negative instead of floating half way to Fiji right now.....

Back
Top Bottom