The Really Long Fin Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So, some background. This challenge is a spin-off from the Jet Fin Challenge.

Okay, I wore the really long fins (Cressi Gara 2000HF) for the first time yesterday. Predictably, I am not looking forward to the remainder of the one month commitment, however experience has shown things will probably get better.
My initial impression was one of having large pieces of sheet metal strapped to my feet. The absence of fake thunder sounds seemed odd. Here are some interesting notes from dives 1&2:

They were much easier to frog kick in than I would have guessed.

They were fast, but not much faster than Twin Jets.

They offer very little traction topside.

It's important to note that this is my first time wearing them, and as I learn how to use them better, I will probably like them more.

I'm curious how you are faring with the long blades 1/3 of the way through your tests?

btw - great job on your jet fin challenge - you really gave an objective review of their good and bad points. I just switched to Jets myself - and am loving them so far. (from a full foot fin) I have also noticed that I don't go quite as fast, but the control issue, being able to wear boots across the lava rock and the entries/exists through 4-6 foot surf without getting tossed around by the waves convinced me that they were the right choice for me.

Well sir, funny you should ask... due to a horrible twist of fate I have not been diving so much lately. I have commited a total of eight dives wearing the really long fins, and had to switch back to the old Twin Jets for a beach dive. Looking back, the really long fins might have been well suited to that particular dive though.
Anyway, I haven't written much about them because I haven't really improved with them. There's not really anything new for me to say. The boat I work on is back in action just this very day after a little siesta, so expect to hear some more very silly remarks from me in the near future.

How much longer are these fins than the Mares Quattro?

So, yesterday I had the opportunity to test the really long fins in high current. Here's the poop:
For swimming into the current, they're pretty good if you have very strong legs. I ran into trouble with them when I was trying to pull a lobster out of a hole with my arm. The fins kept sailing in the current and tended to flip me feet first onto the reef. There is a certain amount of flex to them, and therefore a delay in the transmision of power. This causes them to be slow off the line, however once you get going they become very effective.

Back
Top Bottom