Soupfin Sharks (La Jolla Cove)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

costasd

New
Reaction score
I dove La Jolla Cove with two buddies on Tuesday afternoon. The visibility started out terrible, I could only see 3-5ft in front of my mask. We made it out into a patch of kelp about 75 yards out (North heading, and then direct east heading for about 20 yards) when the viz really opened up (15-20ft). We saw a banded guitar fish, lots of lobsters, schools of bait fish, kelp bass and other usual critters.

The highlight of the dive was the soupfin sharks. My buddy, his first dive after certification, grabbed my shoulder and gave me the shark sign (hand over head like a fin), at first I only saw the tail of one as it swam away, but moments later we were surrounded by at least 20 soupfins. It was amazing! The sharks were about 7ft long and were very graceful swimmers. A couple of them came to about arms length away from me, but most of the school just swam in and out of the kelp around us. Fortunately I knew soupfins were harmless, but it took a little coaxing to calm my buddy down (if your currious about what a soupfin looks like, go to www.divebums.com and click on the field ID section and then click on sharks and rays).

All in all it was a great dive, I suggest you get out there if you get a chance.

I entered the water @ 6:15pm and exited around 7:15pm. We probably saw each other suiting up/or off on the grass.

My website includes one of my weekly newspaper columns about the soupfin shark. Click here to read it.

Doc

Great article Dr. Bill. Thanks very much for posting it.

I also noticed the sharks got a little fidgety after I exhaled. It was an amazing experience. I can't wait to get out there again and hopefully see these beautiful creatures!

Was certainly glad that a member of SB pointed out a spelling error in that article. I looked at it again and found 7 more! Errors should all be fixed in the version now on my web site. How did they get my spell check and two proof readers? Can you say "asleep at the wheel?" I knew you could.

Soupfins are certainly beautiful sharks to watch.

Dr. Bill

I went diving again on Saturday - twice at the Cove. Once out to the rock pile and once at Alligator Head. Still no sharks :( I will just have to keep diving I guess!!!

Back
Top Bottom