Waiting to Exhale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MagnaRyder2

Reaction score
I'm having trouble managing my breathing while waiting for that
skittish critter to come back out of its hole. My problem is
my exhaled bubbles. I can limit the explosive respirations by
allowing the air to exit around my mouthpiece instead of through
the exaust valve, but it still seems to scare the critters.

Aside from rebreathers, What is the secret to limiting exaust bubbles?

MagnaRyder2:
I'm having trouble managing my breathing while waiting for that
skittish critter to come back out of its hole. My problem is
my exhaled bubbles. I can limit the explosive respirations by
allowing the air to exit around my mouthpiece instead of through
the exaust valve, but it still seems to scare the critters.

Aside from rebreathers, What is the secret to limiting exaust bubbles?

Um patience :wink:
From what I see I don't think the critters are really scared of the bubbles or the noise that much (I think I read somewhere that even rebreather divers agree) they are however scared of a giant waiting nearby - back off a little maybe, fish are generally curious, once they decide you are not a threat they will be more co-oprative.

Yup, patience. Also establish steady breaths with small bubbles (no explosive exhales)...once you have a pattern going, fish & critters seem to be more willing to accept it as a normal part of the environment. Change is scary, but luckily for us, fish & most sea creatures have a real short sense of time so it doesn't take long to become part of the landscape.

yeah....what they said. Back off a little bit and most fish and critters curiosity will get the best of them. They'll come check you out.

A minute or two (or more) hovering near that special
critter hole is difficult, especially when my boat assigned
dive partner is impatiently waiting in the wings. I'd wait for
"a while" and assume that my bubbles were the culprit.

OK, I've got a new challenge. "Learn Patience, Grasshopper".
Thanks, Guys.

MagnaRyder2:
A minute or two (or more) hovering near that special
critter hole is difficult, especially when my boat assigned
dive partner is impatiently waiting in the wings. I'd wait for
"a while" and assume that my bubbles were the culprit.

OK, I've got a new challenge. "Learn Patience, Grasshopper".
Thanks, Guys.

Better yet, find a buddy on the boat who likes to go slow...start up a conversation with someone and talk about the very cool stuff you saw on your last dive that everyone else missed coz they were going too fast. Talk to them and explain how slow you want to go...maybe compromise and do one dive on and one dive off, if you know what I mean.

I find that I often have ppl ask if they can buddy with me on the second dive after they see/hear what I did on the first dive (it is unusual for me to get from the decent line at the back to the anchor at the front!)...most haven't been taught to slow down...think of it as doing the divers out there a great service!

Good luck!

I second that! Most of the time, the people in the group tends to rush through the dive site, with me tagging behind by a long way. "Taking it slow" is good advice for any divers, not just photographers. Sometimes, staying still in a single area can reap immense rewards, esp when the marine life gets used to your presence. They revert back to their natural behaviour and you can really see what the reef has to offer.

To further that thought, most divers rush through their dives because their bouyancy control is not practiced. They need to keep swimming to stay level. Thats another good reason for divers to practice bouyancy whenever they can.

Wolverine:
I second that! Most of the time, the people in the group tends to rush through the dive site, with me tagging behind by a long way. "Taking it slow" is good advice for any divers, not just photographers.

We learned this recently from two of dive instructors. A group of us were in the Bahamas on trip, and on most of the dives we followed the local guides who took us for great tours of the reef. However, the instructors who had been there many times before told us that we were also welcome to hang back with them. Wish I had... they got more shots of cool critters within 100 years of the anchor line than we did covering acres of reef. Not only that, they had enough air to stay for days since they were not moving very far.

Next trip I'm going to be spending a lot more time really focussed on the life close to where the boat is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom