Panoramas from Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
This is Hanama Bay. The day I went there the lines were sooooo long. I'm glad that I just went there for some pictures and not to go to the beach

This is the view of Makapu Beach.

This was taken just past Haleiwa, on the way back to Honolulu. Pineapple plantation as far as the eye can see. When the fruits are getting ripe the air is filled with their sweet smell.

This cone shaped outcropping of lava off Kualoa Point resembles the peasant's chapeau worn by rural Chinese - thus the name: Chinaman's Hat. The reef surrounding the island supports an abundance of marine life and is one of the O'ahu's best offshore islands. You can see Chinaman's Hat from numerous vantage points along the coast but the best view is to actually go out to the island. You can walk there during low tide but the best way to get there is via kayak.

This picture was taken on the west side of the Island and shows Waianea

Lisa,

Nice pics, they bring back memories of a beautiful beach, a broken fin buckle, and seeing some really cool Pacific fish for the first time.

That looks like Manana (Rabbit) Island in the background on the Makapu shot. There is some great diving there - deep reefs, ledges, lots of lobster, sharks, turtles. It's also the place where I took the last live shell I ever took (1985?) - a 5 1/4" tiger cowry. I turned down $250 in '87 for it.
That was one of the gorgeous spots on O'ahu.

justleesa, these are such beautiful pictures. I've got a question for you. Is there any way to visit Hawaii, and not spend a small fortune doing it?

I've always wanted to go to Hawaii, and the number one thing I must do is go to the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial. That's number one even ahead of any possible diving.

DiverG - I visited Hawaii and made a lot of money doing it. Free airfare to get there, and I didn't have to worry about housing, clothing or food once I got there. Plus my hosts gave me a stockless shotgun, a really nice M-14, and a .45 for my own personal use. From time to time, they sent me on little mini-vacations to other parts of the world so I didn't get too bored with Oahu.
Now that said, there are all sorts of ways to visit Hawaii cheaply. They have inexpensive hostels with communal baths and kitchens, TheBus, and McDonald's. But then you'll miss out on a gorgeous room at Halekulani (not THE Halekulani - just Halekulani), eating at Roy's and Sam Choy's, and cruising around with your windows down in a nice rental Ferrari.
Good luck visiting the USS Arizona Memorial. I must have gone right by it 500 times on warships, another 1500 times by launch, a bunch of times on my own boat that was in the marina there at Pearl Harbor, and I never actually visited it. Ah, maybe next time.
Then again, I lived in Manhattan for 8 years and never quite got around to going up in the Empire State Building or visiting the Statue of Liberty.

DiverG:
justleesa, these are such beautiful pictures. I've got a question for you. Is there any way to visit Hawaii, and not spend a small fortune doing it?

I've always wanted to go to Hawaii, and the number one thing I must do is go to the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial. That's number one even ahead of any possible diving.
Sorry, missed this one.

First of all, thanks :blush:

Yes it is expensive here. If you look hard enough you can find a hotel that has a bit lower price then some of the better known hotels, I found a room for friends at www.bookit.com for $65 a night (which is about as low as you'll get). You can also go for a hostel, but in the end they are not that much cheaper.

If you go for a plate lunch, it'll cost you about $5.- and you can eat at Smorgey's or go to the grocery store ( not the one in Waikiki) to bridge over some meals.

If you don't want to rent a car The Bus is a great way to get around. All the way around the Island for $2, which includes a transfer that's good for 4 hours.

Just to add to the comments DiverG, to do it on the cheap you must be prepared to sacrafice a little, but is is well worth it. There are reasonable flights from the mainland during low-season and you can save more money by preparing your own food and camping. I did two weeks on Big Island as a student- camped a fair bit to make up for the cost of renting a car- and also stayed in a locally run hotel at $50 ensuite ($25 shared). I opted for car rental as this then allowed me to save money on diving by doing a fair amount of shore dives- theres a bunch on Oahu too.

Overall- cut back on holiday treats and go- its a fantastic place and the islands probaly contain my favourite dive site (if not second favourite)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom