Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roguediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This has nothing to do with diving. My wife will be hear next Sat. and we are going to the Big Island, Hilo side for a few days and was woundering what are some of the better sites to see, and places to eat. We will be staying at the Helo Bay Hotel. Thanks for any info.

Jeff

The lave just stoped flowing at the park but it's stil a good day trip. Also do the helo flight to Waipo valley. $169/pp, and if you have a local ID, ask for Kamaina (sp) and you will get a few bucks more off the price. South point is an intresting drive if somewhat less that spetacular when you get to the farthest point south in the US. Most of the flower gardens have tours also. Hope that helps a little....Oh ya, take her to Mona Kea to the observatories, not much of a drive from that side. Aloha!

roguediver:
[...] we are going to the Big Island, Hilo side for a few days [...]

The 4 mile scenic drive around Onomea Bay is nice. The Tsunami Museum in
Hilo is also an interesting place to visit, as is the Lyman Museum.

Rainbow Falls is worth a visit. Head down to Kapoho and poke around in the
tidepools.

The USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory has updates on what Madame
Pele is doing at Kilauea. Always worth a visit, even if there's no visible lava
flows.

On weekends there are docent-led tours of some of the telescopes atop Mauna Kea.

As for eats, I like Cafe Pesto in the old S. Hata building downtown. Pescatore
gets good reviews, though we've not tried it yet (my wife and I live 100 miles away
in Kona).

The folks at Wizard Publications publish a great guidebook for the Big Island.
You should be able to pick one up at a bookstore in Hilo.

Thanks guys, sounds good. I hate that the lava stoped flowing that was the big reason we were going to the big island but thats ok we will have a great time anyway once again thanks.

Jeff

Check out our website under www.honuheaven.com and view links/attractions. My husband and I listed some of our favorite places with descriptions, pictures and links. The Volcano Natioal Park and Waipio Valley are my two favorite places on the island. We will be back in Kona on 9/22. Feel free to pm or call if you have any questions.........

The Botanical garden on the scenic route mentioned earlier is also a great little walk. There are supposedly world-class snorkeling tidepools out in Kapoho that I've never done but hear a lot about. Also on the way to Kapoho you'll find Lava Tree state park and some geothermal pools, I've heard both of thses are nice too.

Steve

Thanks for all the info guys, sounds like we are going to have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom