Tie a knot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BIGJC

Reaction score
I had to cut my line one day while I was practicing with my reel and was aondering if it would be okay for me to tie the excess line back on... its my safety reel not my primary,,,,

:confused:

Originally posted by BIGJC
I had to cut my line one day while I was practicing with my reel and was aondering if it would be okay for me to tie the excess line back on... its my safety reel not my primary,,,,

:confused:

I do it... but I know how to tie two lines together so that they cinch down tight and won't come undone...

Do you have a fisherman friend that could teach you how to join two lines?

But I do know ropes and knots and am a certified rock climbing instructor. When it comes to safety there is :nono: NO ROOM :nono: for spliced or knotted lines. Splices and knots will weaken a dry line up to 60%. Wetting a line will only exacerbate the issue. Do yourself a favor and err on the side of caution and replace the old line. A backup reel that can fail or jam is no backup, but a potential hazzard.

Didn't see your post before I posted, else I would have been a little less "direct". I know how "sensitive" you are :tease: Still some reels can jam when there is knotted line in them, and while I can do some fancy shmancy knots (way beyound the reef knot for holding) I would shy away from splicing or knotting ANY line that my life counted on. That I pointed out that I am not a caver was only to indicate that I have not gone through "formal" training on reels. Whenever, I feel that I might not have the final answer, I will make sure ya'll know my limitations. I know that good line can cost a bit, but it's still a darn bit cheaper than your life.

Originally posted by NetDoc
Didn't see your post before I posted, else I would have been a little less "direct". I know how "sensitive" you are :tease:
~
Still some reels can jam when there is knotted line in them
~
I know that good line can cost a bit, but it's still a darn bit cheaper than your life.

Relax already Pete... :wink:
I was just having fun with you...
And I haven't seen you and Roakey go at it for awhile... :D

BTW... the line is cheap as dirt...

I'm just a little cheaper so I tied the knot...

And I have a HALCYON reel :eek:ut:

Oh, THIS is what your PM was talking about UP, I hadn't gotten here yet... You're talking SPLICING, not just knotting (or what a real sailor would call bending two lines together :))

For the cost of cave line I wouldn't, the potential disaster is too great and the cost of replacement is too small.

Especially for the safety reel where there's a high probability that you'll be deploying it in silty conditions and putting a lot of load on it as you search for the established line.

I have no idea for sure what the real honest-to-gawd DIR answer would be, but I'd be willing to wager that this is the position they'd take...

Roak

about the line,

and found out I wasn't lyin'

and I guess that's the Lion's share of

What's my line?

Knot a problem, as Roakey spliced in with a comment that showed that we are actually tied off on the same branch which took a bight out of the controversy without a hitch...

Needless to say, I'm as happy as a Dandy-Line!!!

Here's hoping your not reeling from the puns yet... just don't cave into the peer pressure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom