Not a recipe..but a food fitness question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just read part of the South Beach Diet book.
It says to stay away from watermelon and bananas. Huh?

Natasha:

The watermelon I'm not sure about, but bananas are put in the bad group because of the carbs. They have many other health benefits though so I'd say go for it!

According to Professor Google, my favorite teacher...

Bananas are rich in vitamin B6 and they are a good source of fiber, vitamin C, magnesium and potassium. Lack of B6 in a diet can cause weakness, irritability and insomnia. The potassium found in bananas helps to regulate blood pressure and may reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke. Potassium is also essential for helping muscles to contract properly during exercise and reduces cramping up. A medium-sized banana provides 400 mg of potassium -11% of daily value- and contains 110 calories and 4 grams of fiber. Bananas also contain plenty of carbohydrates which are the body's main source of energy. They are also easy to digest.

PS: They're the only fruit that doesn't come from a tree but a giant herb plant related to the lily and orchid family!

Natasha,

As you might have guessed from other posts of mine, I am not a fan of restricting carbs when trying to lose weight through exercise. I am, however, all for limiting empty calories, and many high-carb foods certainly fall into that category. Bananas and watermelon are not empty calories.

Two years ago, a client of mine told me that she stopped buying her 14 yo son fruit because he was eating too much of it. Now, this guy had about 4% body fat, played basketball, baseball, ran track, and raced dirt bikes, all at a competitive level for his age. Yet, his mom was convinced that all of that fruit was going to make him fat because of an anti-carb diet book (don't remember which one).

I am also not a fan of diets that force otherwise healthy people into a deficit of more than about 400-500 calories per day, again, especially when exercising. Sure, you may lose weight quickly, but that kind of deficit is hard on your body. Eventually, it will rebel, lowering your metabolism while firing up your cravings until you can't resist anymore. The weight will come back and bring some friends. So, just be sure that whatever diet you choose doesn't take you below this level of intake.

For a review of how you can use foods like bananas and watermelon to fuel your weight loss, check out the article "Carbohydrate's Role in Weight Loss" at http://www.divefitness.com/html/articles.html .

Cameron

I don't know if this is any help to you Natasha but when my wife and I went on a diet some years back we just switched meal times. We had our evening meal in the middle of the day and then our lunch at dinner time. Of course this isn't always possible but it worked for us.
Also you need to have a treat once a week and this can be anything from a bannana to a cream cake if that's what you want.
And it doesn't undo all that you have done.
Like all eating things there isna't an easy way.
Good luck,
Geoff.

Thanks everyone. Cameron I'll go read that article now. geoff57, Funny you should say that. I just did that yesterday before I read this.
It seemed to work well. I'm planning to try it all week to get to my first goal weight this upcoming Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes.

The issue w/ the watermelon is all the sugar in it. One of the big tenants of the SB diet is to severly limit your sugar intake. In the initial stages of the diet, you're supposed to eliminate as much sugar as possible in order to get your blood chemistry right (in terms of insulin levels) and then once that's happened and you've reached a satisfactory weight, you can start slowing adding back in your fruits and high-carb sources, until you find a balancing point which allows you to maintain your weight.

ps I managed to loose 8 lbs. during the first week of the SB diet and those were the tough type (ie i wasn't terribly overweight to begin w/).

Natasha:
The reason it says to stay away from watermelons and bananas has to due with insulin. Watermelons and bananas are high glycemic index foods which means that they have a lot of carbs that digest very quickly and spike your insulin levels in your body. When your insulin levels are high your body is programed to store extra carbs as fat. Watermelons and bananas are not bad. You just can't eat a whole watermelon or a whole bushel of bananas. Just my 2psi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom