Can I expect to see any mantas next week off Kona?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabob1234

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
Going to Kona next week, wondering if the night dives off of the airport were seeing any mantas lately?
Thanks
Bob

scubabob1234:
Hi
Going to Kona next week, wondering if the night dives off of the airport were seeing any mantas lately?
Thanks
Bob

I just looked at www.jacksdivinglocker.com to see what they have been seeing during their night dives. Looks like things have been quite. I hope you do get to see some mantas as they are truely spectacular, however, if you don't, the night critters are fun to watch too.

Good luck!

The mantas haven't been showing up very much for the past few weeks. There's not been much
plankton in the water until very recently. It was very, very thick on wednesday night, but no
mantas popped in for a snack. I'll ask at the harbor this morning if they saw any last night ...

It's been dead since the middle of July for mantas. That can change suddenly. We had some strange coral and algae blooms in Kona this last month, don't know if that affected their eating patterns. I'm going out tonight, if anything shows up I'll add a brief note.

Call Big Island Divers when you get in, they keep track, as well as Jack's and a few others, and they'll give you the straight poop on whether they've seen mantas the last few nights.

Steve

Update: We had 2 mantas tonight. There was good plankton and the mantas were feeding for the entire time divers were around. Hopefully it'll start picking up again, it tends to run in spurts.

Just went on Friday of last week - 1 Manta fly by. Be aware, sites can list that they "saw Mantas", when in effect, 1 may just fly by and that's it. It was still a great night dive tho.

Back
Top Bottom