Flooding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
When I bought my digital camera, (for right or wrong) I wasn't thinking about using it underwater because I was scared of the casing flooding and losing my whole investment.

How often does this happen?
Horror stories? :11:

-Mike

In almost all cases floods happen because of user error and not due to the housing itself (of good quality housings anyway). Pretty much it isn't if, but when.

I had my first major flood on a video unit a month or so ago. First flood in over 9 years of using the same type of housings; that particular housing had been used almost daily and was over a year old. Still not sure of the cause...ultimately doesn't matter.

Insure your gear no matter what. Make sure your insurance covers flood - do a search for threads...it has been talked about a lot recently.

Electronics and water are a bad combo, but most people shoot for a long time without a flood...and it certainly wouldn't stop me from taking gear down. I mean, that's why I have gear in the first place AND I am insured if the really bad F-word does occur. To me, cameras etc are not really investments - they don't hold their value and are easily replaceable and soon outdated and simple to insure against bad things...YMMV

Ditto on the insurance. We had a rider placed on our homeowners for all of our scuba gear, including my photo gear (a housed SRL...) for less than $50 a year, worth it in just peace of mind. DAN also has insurance for gear, but it is a little pricey.

Good Luck!

For your information, all Fantasea Line CP (Coolpix) housings come with a DEPP anti flooding insurance program included in the purchase price !!

For more information www.fantasea.com

mgersch@cox.net:
When I bought my digital camera, (for right or wrong) I wasn't thinking about using it underwater because I was scared of the casing flooding and losing my whole investment.

How often does this happen?
Horror stories? :11:

-Mike

Thanks for the info. Actually, I did not know you could get insurance for you camera for flooding. I also didn't know that you can now get housings for the Nikon.

I guess I need to spend more time on scuba board!!

Mike

Make sure your o-ring is seated well and that it is free of sand and salt, etc. also I had 2 friends who currently have cameras in housings floating off to who knows where because they were not clipped off well.

There are two types of underwater cameras. Those that are flooded and those that will flood. But as stated above, user error is most often the cause. Having done 3500 + dives mostly with a camera I have only had about 5 floods, only two of which resulted in a new paper weight on my desk. I have however seen many other cameras flood.

Here are my recommendations

1st - set up the camera before you go to the site or get on the boat and NEVER do it in a rush.
2nd - make sure both the O-ring and O-ring channel are clean, also do not over do it with the silicone, too much is not going to help and actually can cause trouble, the O-ring should have a wet shiny appearance without any dry areas or gobs of silicone on it. Some housings do not even need silicone on some O-rings, check your documentation!
3rd - when you first enter the water, keep an eye on your housing, most floods will show themselves quite early. If it does start to flood, try to position the housing so that the water will collect in some free space, then do a safe ascent.
4th -do not leave your camera in a community rinse bucket! I have seen many cameras survive dives and die in the rinse bucket. Mask straps, camera cords and etc. can pop open latches, also o-rings seal much better under pressure therefore even though they sealed on the dive they may actually leak in a bucket. Best advice, give it a dunk and wrap it in a wet towel. you can soak it later when you get back from the dive.
finally - get it insured!

a bit long winded sorry

Welcome to SB!

Chris...not long winded at all. Your recommendations are the same you'll see repeated here on almost a daily basis...and we're usually longer winded about it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom