Good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mobius1

Registered
Reaction score
hi i just bought the ABBiller 48 special woody for $119.99 dollars

did I get a good deal, and what are some goods and bads of the gun?

Sounds like a fair price if it's in excellent condition. Bands and band material come in many different combo's. I'd hit your local dive shop and bring your gun with you. Bands are normal cheap for this gun, somewheres in the $15 range.

Remember that you need to get the right bands, stronger/tighter does not mean better. Too tight bands can not only lock up your trigger but also wobble your shaft on exit, leading to in accuracy in our shots. Lots of seasoned shooters only use one single band on their gun. Remember, it's all about shot placement. If you suck at your aim, then all the power bands in the world won't help.

shark2Ffish.jpg

aye. It is brand spankin new and i bought the third band for it. Made sure its the correct size band. I took the gun out with me on a outing of kayak spearfishing with just my weights fins,snorkel. Nailed two small legal sheepshead, 1 large opal eye, and a 4 foot 20 pound lepord shark. the shark pulled me along the surface for a while then i managed to bear hug it and kill it.
Here is a picture.

Mobius1:
shark2Ffish.jpg

aye. It is brand spankin new and i bought the third band for it. Made sure its the correct size band. I took the gun out with me on a outing of kayak spearfishing with just my weights fins,snorkel. Nailed two small legal sheepshead, 1 large opal eye, and a 4 foot 20 pound lepord shark. the shark pulled me along the surface for a while then i managed to bear hug it and kill it.
Here is a picture.

I can see you takin' over the Crocodile Hunters spot on animal planet.

The Biller 48, even with the old trigger, can handle three bands of 120 pounds. Your trigger will not lock up. Your 5/16 arrow, which is extremely stiff, will not wobble or veer. However, watch for any low shooting with the triple bands. This may or may not happen with this relatively short gun. See the Deeper Blue forum for my articles 'Modifications to the Biller 54' and 'Biller Carribean'.

Whether you got a 'good deal' is a complicated question. If you received a new, teak gun with the new grip and muzzle, and the hardened trigger parts, you got an excellent deal. Otherwise, so so.

OK, I see that you say it is new but not whether mahogany or teak which makes a big difference in price. Still, the deal is good to excellent. Good to see you are using it.

Pesky

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom