More Whale images

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Bangs

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I added some more whale images to my gallery. Some of the newborn sperm whale that haven't been seen before including one that was shot soon after birth and the mother still has the umbilical cord attached to her.

go to my galley ( chris bangs ) and take a look, they are mixed in thoughout the entire gallery, that way you have to suffer through the rest of my shots to find them. :wink:

For beginners, don't be shy, ask questions on any shots you see. The whale shots were all taken without any flash, want to find out when and when not to use a flash? Just ask?

Chris

Chris -

I just browsed the gallery and I love the whale shots (and the super super macro stuff, of course!)

I have been lax about welcoming you to the board - so WELCOME!

Your shots are wonderful and you've certainly enjoyed some special moments under the sea :)

It's great to see someone with your obvious knowledge offer to help others...

Have a great day!

Great stuff. Very impressive. Did you adjust color any on the whale pictures or use a filter?

SB

Your whale shots are amazing! As are they all. The newborn is so wrinkled!

Thanks for your offer of help. Anytime you want, feel free to write any tip, technique or article in the Tips and Techniques Forum above. I'm sure with your experience, we could all learn from you.

StevenB:
Great stuff. Very impressive. Did you adjust color any on the whale pictures or use a filter?

Steven, Good Question

The Humpback shots, all were shot in RAW mode with a digital SLR, therefore the image is treated like a negative. when it is to be printed, in other words the raw conversion process is similar to making a print from a negative.

All the Sperm Whale images, with the exception of the mother/baby with the umbilical cord, were shot using negative film, I usually do not use negative film so I had to beg borrowed and stole whatever I could get my hands on. I had no time to run home and get film! so then again there is always correction to be done in the reversal process. In reality using negative film produced the best shots as it brought out colors that the fujichrome would not have. If I had not switched to digital I would have used negative film to shoot the humpbacks as well.

My photoshop skills are poor at best! :blink: Hopefully in the future I can go back and improve the color on some of the shots

All the best

Chris

PS: I as of yet have never used a filter underwater :wink:

Chris Bangs,

Wow, your photos are impressive! I am curious what camera are you using for underwater? I am really interested in research on that one.

Thanks,
wildmtn

wildmtn:
Chris Bangs,

Wow, your photos are impressive! I am curious what camera are you using for underwater? I am really interested in research on that one.

Thank you!

Sorry, I still have to go in and add equipment comments to the shots. I have Nikonos II,III,V, Nikon N 8008, N-90,F5 and now the Fuji S2 Pro. "Fish in a blanket" and the spanish dancer shots are almost 10 years old and these were done using a Nikonos V/35 mm or 28 mm,with the Nikon close-up kit. Sperm whales were all shot with a Nikonos V/15 mm. The humpbacks were all shot with the Fuji s2 and the Nikon 12-24 mm. I use the Nikon 60 mm for fish shots, and the 105 for up to 1:1 macro and with teleconverters and/or diopters for the stuff up to 10:1

Sorry for the jumbled post

If you wish refer to which image you want info on and I will give you the complete details including the technique used to get the shot.

I am Land locked for a few weeks, got time on my hands. I used to teach UW photography, still love doing it just no time to conduct classes.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom