Wireless SPG question ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jersey Chris

Reaction score
I think I am going to go this route. I love having the idea of all my info on the wrist. My question is interference. Can 2 buddies have the same units. Will it read each others tanks if we get too close? Are there many frequencies they operate on.. Thanks for any help..

Jersey Chris:
I think I am going to go this route. I love having the idea of all my info on the wrist. My question is interference. Can 2 buddies have the same units. Will it read each others tanks if we get too close? Are there many frequencies they operate on.. Thanks for any help..

I believe most of them are designed to operate with other similar transmitters in the area, and you can "key" your receiver to your transmitter...

Jersey Chris:

On the one I have the data is coded using the serial number of the sender as the code key. It's highly unlikely, although not entirely impossible, that your buddy could have the same code.

R..

Jersey Chris:

The Suunto Vytec picks a random "channel" every time you start it up. The idea is that there are enough channels that it is "unlikely" that another diver will also get that channel. I've not had a problem but then again, I've never been in the water with another Vytec owner. If there are multiple Vytec owners you are supposed to check for interference above water and reset the link if one of you is on the wrong channel.

All the other wireless computers I've seen have a similar pairing mechanism. I'm not sure if they scan for an open channel or not. Probably not.

Most of my in-state buddies are with the shop that I trained with. So, by coincidence many of us have VyTec's. Two things...

1) For the VyTec to "marry" to the transmitter, the computer has to be practically touching the transmitter. The minute that the computer sees the gas supply drop off to zero it will divorce (LOL) and will not reset to another link until it indicates zero depth. But, once it acquires the frequency, it will continue to try to pick up a signal from that transmitter until it sees the pressure trandsducer on the locked in frequency hit zero.

2) My buddies read off the codes that our computers list to make sure that we don't have two VyTecs on the same frequency that may pick up the other's transmitter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom