So Cal Co-Op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saf_25

Contributor
Reaction score
I posted this last week in the So Cal Olympus User's Group forum, but haven't gotten any responses. I'm not sure if people just didn't see it, or weren't interested, but since more people check out the So Cal forum than the Oly group one, I thought I'd post it here as well. I guess if I still don't get any responses here, I'll have my answer. Let me know your thoughts on combining our buying power for getting dive items at bulk together and then dividing them - specifically, I was looking at dessicant for camera housings, but I know there are other items that we could do this with as well.

Here's what I posted in the other thread:

Since our So Cal Oly Group meeting is just over a week away, I thought this would be a good time to see what people thought of this idea I had. (re-reading this, I realize I got a bit wordy. Sorry it's so long!)

I'm getting to where I need to buy some dessicant - I've been using my camera faster than my 'source' can keep up my supply (my father, who is a pharmacist, has been colleting the dessicant packs that come in the pill bottles at work, but the majority are too big, so he doesn't get me that many. Plus, since they've essentially already been used before I use them, I like to have a # of them in the housing at a time, and don't reuse them, so I got through them quickly).

From looking around, it appears that most people (ok, Dee and Gilligan, but I trust their camera expertise enough for them to be considered "most people") recommend the Preserveation Station dessicant. They sell packages of 50 small packs for $14.95 + $4 s/h, so $20 for 50 packs. Or, they sell 4 of the packs of 50 for $44.85 + the same $4 for s/h. So, 200 dessicant packs are only $50, which is a significant savings.

Since I'm cheap and hate to pay almost double what I have to, the idea of ordering "in bulk" definitely appeals to me. But, 200 packs is an awful lot and I don't know when I'd go through all of those (especially since these are rechargeable and they have an indicator that shows when they're spent, so I won't be wasting much).

So, my idea was for the group to form a "co-op" of sorts. I don't really need a commitment from anyone now, but I just wanted to see what interest there would be in people splitting an order. If we divided an order 4 ways (they come as 4 packs of 50, so that's easy to do) then it comes out to $12.50 each, after shipping and everything. Close to half off. Anyone else interested? It says shipping is 2-day, so if I order the beginning of next week, then they should be here in time for me to be able to bring them to the meeting on the 30th and we can distribute them then. Let me know what you think.

Also, if anyone has a source for o-rings, silicone gel, beer coozies, or any other camera housing accessories that are cheaper in bulk than individually, this might be a good idea for us to consider. Since we get approx. 30 people together at a time, we have a significant enough buying power to make it worthwhile.

Any thoughts?

saf_25:
<snipped>Plus, since they've essentially already been used before I use them, I like to have a # of them in the housing at a time, and don't reuse them, so I got through them quickly).

Stacy,

I am using the same single dessicant pack that I began using in January when I got the camera. Just one at a time and it's now been used at least 20 times. Does anyone else change them so often?

Also, I will pass your message to someone I know who also wants to go in on them.

I think the bulk idea is a great one. I just don't know if you need to go through them so rapidly!

Deb

Really, the same packet for 8 months? Well, I guess that the threads I've read have been people diving in the more tropical, and therefore humid, environments than here, so they have more of a need for the dessicant than we do. But, from what I've read on Scubaboard, people are changing them out after every few dives (or at least using new, recharged ones every time they open the housing). Any feedback from others here in CA on how often they change the dessicant packs?

That's part of the reason I want to order these ones - they have the indicator to know whether or not the pack needs to be changed, so I can see how much I am wasting. Being new at this, I don't have a gut instinct to know when to use them, vs. when to throw them out, and I really don't want something so avoidable as condenstion to ruin my pictures. Plus, they can be recharged, so there isn't much lost to changing them out if I want to continue doing that.

Debbie, thanks for sending me the info on your friend who is also interested in buying bulk. Does anyone else feel the way we do?

saf_25:
I posted this last week in the So Cal Olympus User's Group forum, but haven't gotten any responses. I'm not sure if people just didn't see it, or weren't interested, but since more people check out the So Cal forum than the Oly group one, I thought I'd post it here as well. I guess if I still don't get any responses here, I'll have my answer. Let me know your thoughts on combining our buying power for getting dive items at bulk together and then dividing them - specifically, I was looking at dessicant for camera housings, but I know there are other items that we could do this with as well.

Here's what I posted in the other thread:

Since our So Cal Oly Group meeting is just over a week away, I thought this would be a good time to see what people thought of this idea I had. (re-reading this, I realize I got a bit wordy. Sorry it's so long!)

I'm getting to where I need to buy some dessicant - I've been using my camera faster than my 'source' can keep up my supply (my father, who is a pharmacist, has been colleting the dessicant packs that come in the pill bottles at work, but the majority are too big, so he doesn't get me that many. Plus, since they've essentially already been used before I use them, I like to have a # of them in the housing at a time, and don't reuse them, so I got through them quickly).

From looking around, it appears that most people (ok, Dee and Gilligan, but I trust their camera expertise enough for them to be considered "most people") recommend the Preserveation Station dessicant. They sell packages of 50 small packs for $14.95 + $4 s/h, so $20 for 50 packs. Or, they sell 4 of the packs of 50 for $44.85 + the same $4 for s/h. So, 200 dessicant packs are only $50, which is a significant savings.

Since I'm cheap and hate to pay almost double what I have to, the idea of ordering "in bulk" definitely appeals to me. But, 200 packs is an awful lot and I don't know when I'd go through all of those (especially since these are rechargeable and they have an indicator that shows when they're spent, so I won't be wasting much).

So, my idea was for the group to form a "co-op" of sorts. I don't really need a commitment from anyone now, but I just wanted to see what interest there would be in people splitting an order. If we divided an order 4 ways (they come as 4 packs of 50, so that's easy to do) then it comes out to $12.50 each, after shipping and everything. Close to half off. Anyone else interested? It says shipping is 2-day, so if I order the beginning of next week, then they should be here in time for me to be able to bring them to the meeting on the 30th and we can distribute them then. Let me know what you think.

Also, if anyone has a source for o-rings, silicone gel, beer coozies, or any other camera housing accessories that are cheaper in bulk than individually, this might be a good idea for us to consider. Since we get approx. 30 people together at a time, we have a significant enough buying power to make it worthwhile.

Any thoughts?

PM me. I'm selling 50 packs of the 5 gr packs (as opposed to the wimpy 2.X gr packs Oly provides) for $10 delivered to any address in the continental US.

PM me for details. I'm posting this in the For Sale forum soon.

Ken

I have the same kind of silica packs as what they sell on the Preservation Station (can't remember if that's where I ordered them from, but it was somewhere online). Mine also have that little strip which changes from blue to pink as they absorb moisture. I dive Catalina at least twice a month, and my camera goes with me on each dive. If I can go more than one dive day without changing packs, I'm lucky. I just figured that the packs were fairly cheap, and better safe than sorry. That strip goes pink fairly quickly. I was unaware of any way to safely recharge them, and I'd love to hear of it if somebody knows how.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom