Dogs of The Week (Monastary Shot)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CALI68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I had a couple questions about my Drysuit and just by chance I ended up coresponding with DUI's CEO Susan Long (super nice person). She asked me to send her a picture so this weekend we shot this outside of Monastery. A little Nor Cal recognition is cool and the shot features the Monastery itself.

Note how calm Monastery was on Saturday. Too bad the vis was only 10'....can't have it all. :)

Pretty cool.

http://www.dui-online.com/newsite/newsite.htm

I meant to post this in Nor Cal. Oh well.

The last couple weeks the conditions have been excellent up here. We have seen some 60- 70' days wich is VERY rare! When we left the dock the water was like a lake. We had every reason to expect good conditions however the water just had too much plankton and it was very green. I guess I could push it a bit and say 15' of vis. I should mention that what we could see was really cool! The colors around "wash rock" are beautiful (I have a really good light) and being that close to the canyon we saw litterally hundreds of Jelly fish! It was cool but in a weird way ya know?

It's very eary being that close to the canyon with low vis...that also ads to the thrill! You never know what's checking you out.

Pretty darn cool.
Monastary is one of my favorite dive sites.

mech:
My last 4 or so dives there were no less than 40' vis.

Wow! I was sure it was gonna be that good last Saturday. I can't complain though I was able to dive the last couple weeks in some great conditions.

We had another picture that I swear looked like we were on a sheet of glass. It just happened to be extra green that day.

We did a second dive at The Outer Pinnacles and that was about 25' or so.

Ryan,

Often when diving in Monterey you will see more "life" in those 10 feet of viz than in many places with 100 feet of viz. Slow and close up.

Often the viz improves as you head south from Monterey proper. Usually Carmel / Pt Lobos area is a few degrees colder and a few feet better viz that in the bay.

Remember also that MANY locally trained divers have said that the viz and the temps tend to be better in Monterey area in the winter months.

Wristshot

Wristshot:
Ryan,

Often when diving in Monterey you will see more "life" in those 10 feet of viz than in many places with 100 feet of viz. Slow and close up.

Often the viz improves as you head south from Monterey proper. Usually Carmel / Pt Lobos area is a few degrees colder and a few feet better viz that in the bay.

Remember also that MANY locally trained divers have said that the viz and the temps tend to be better in Monterey area in the winter months.

Wristshot

Well said!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom