Anybody use the Oceanic Datatrans Plus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AKmountaineer

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Datatrans Plus and was considering replacing my Datamax Pro with it until I read about divers on the board who had problems with it. Is it a decent computer, or should I just sell them both and go with a Suunto Cobra? I don't think wireless is a necessity, though I have yet to try one.

AKmountaineer:
I recently acquired a Datatrans Plus and was considering replacing my Datamax Pro with it until I read about divers on the board who had problems with it. Is it a decent computer, or should I just sell them both and go with a Suunto Cobra? I don't think wireless is a necessity, though I have yet to try one.

Never one problem. Not one.

We moved to wrist mounted gauges, and as you know, this unit is huge - so we opted for Suunto Vytecs.

But never a prob with the DataTrans Plus.

K

Mo2vation:
Never one problem. Not one.

We moved to wrist mounted gauges, and as you know, this unit is huge - so we opted for Suunto Vytecs.

But never a prob with the DataTrans Plus.

K

I like mine (despite the dive guide in Polynesia who referred to it as my "television" -- it is a little large.) I like having all the data in one place and on one display (no flipping among different pages to see the data; it's all there at once.)

It does hate my camera -- if I hold the camera in my right hand, it's pretty much guaranteed to lose signal. Move the camera just a few inches away and it regains signal, every time.

(One caution -- AFAIK the download kit is not only overpriced, but also effectively unsupported and unavailable, so if that's a big factor for you, be advised.)

I used a DataTrans Pro for about four years and it worked great. Have now replaced it with a VT Pro which is fine once in the water. But trying to change the battery in the VT Pro is a nightmare. Would not recommend the VT Pro for that reason alone.

Being a full time dive guide, I deal with a lot of divers a lot of the time.
Oceanic was the number one computer for problems.
Go with the Suunto or an Aladin
My 2 cents

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom