Good Cheap Dive Watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AKmountaineer

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a tip for anybody who wants a deal on a basic dive watch. I bought an Aquatech watch at Walmart for under $6.00 and it has been a fantastic SCUBA watch. There are many different models to choose from, and the one I have has a nice big digital display along with stopwatch etc. I have used it constantly for the past 6 months down to depths of 100 + feet and no problems. Can't beat the price - for the price of a tank fill, you can get a new watch!

Yeah, I did the same thing, well sort of.

My Sieko bit the dust so I was looking for a cheap replacement. I went to Wal Mart and picked up a Timex Ironman 200m watch. It was $30. It has both a countdown timer, and a stopwatch. I set the count down timer to the dive table bottom time. I use the stopwatch for the si. Works great.

Randy

At first I got a Casio for like 10$ but when I took it to 80ft the numbers got all funky, so I shelled out for a G-Shock and its a amazing watch. Solar powered all the neet little gizmos, and I got it 50% off :D

AKmountaineer:
Here's a tip for anybody who wants a deal on a basic dive watch. I bought an Aquatech watch at Walmart for under $6.00 and it has been a fantastic SCUBA watch. There are many different models to choose from, and the one I have has a nice big digital display along with stopwatch etc. I have used it constantly for the past 6 months down to depths of 100 + feet and no problems. Can't beat the price - for the price of a tank fill, you can get a new watch!

Someone on the Rodale's board actually wrote these up (here, with a followup here.)

I use one of these, with a Suunto clipper shoved on the inboard side and a few tank o-rings (y'know, for street cred) as well, but I spent the extra two bucks for the backlight.

I use a simple Timex Atlantis watch as my everyday watch, and it goes diving with me. It says that itis "water resistant" to 100 meters, and I have never had a problem diving with it. Heck, it does everything with me, as I rarely ever take it off. No need for a "dive watch". It cost me $39.99 at Walgreens. It has stopwatch alternate time zone, alarm etc.

Wristshot

I also bought my cheap dive watch in Walmart. It's so cheap I forgot how much it cost. Something under $10.

underwater daphne:
oh yeah a dive watch is not a dive computer(-watch). ok.

True, but there is a Timex watch available at discount for just under $40 which shows temperature, depth and bottom time (indicating max depth and total bottom time after surfacing) as well as the usual digital watch functions of time in 2 time zones, stop watch, lap timer, etc.

donacheson:
True, but there is a Timex watch available at discount for just under $40 which shows temperature, depth and bottom time (indicating max depth and total bottom time after surfacing) as well as the usual digital watch functions of time in 2 time zones, stop watch, lap timer, etc.

Huh -- sure enough. Fairly dorky looking (see attached picture), but it exists.

Two models, actually, depending on trim color, Timex 47651 or 47661; the lowest price a quick googling showed me was $39.97 at Campmor, apparently on closeout.

I found the manual (which seems to have been written and approved by someone with an odd sense of whimsy, as it includes such useful instructions as "Do not eat watch!", complete with illustration to help you grasp that watch-eating is not an official Timex-sanctioned activity.)

Another useful note: "D. Range of readable depths is 0 to 130 feet or 0 to 40 meters, with a 1-foot or 1-meter resolution (DM only). All out-of-range readings will be displayed as HI or LO. At that very moment, you'll be either very cold, very hot, very deep, or very high; and you may want to make a mental note. What the note says is entirely up to you."

Back
Top Bottom