Anyone dive Doheny SB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacucamonga

Registered
Reaction score
Our company 'picnic' is in early September at Doheny. I found that there is a shore/beach dive site there, but would appreciate any information from those who have dived there previously...What is the surge like? Anything specific to see? Recommended entry and exit? etc...

Thank you in advance.

Marlin Snyder :thinkingo

There is a jetty right there. I saw on Franko's maps for OC that hole-in-the-fence has a reef out there that is diveable, but I would guess vis would be poor. It can't hurt to just head straight out and explore. Watch out for the surfers, jet skiiers, and beyond the jetty, the boat traffic. I know on the other side of the harbor is a reef off the headlands but you need a boat to dive it. Post a report if you dive it!

Sean

on franko's map its called san juan rocks,tried it once but it was kind of rough and a lot of surge,looks like a nice dive spot on a calm day

You might also take a look at the latest water quality report at Doheny (check out www.healthebay.org) before you jump in the water. That place is often a toilet. It took the number one spot on the annual "Beach Bummers" list for water cleanliness. A major storm channel empties out smack dab in the middle of Doheny, and with it comes a myriad of interesting and toxic substances, better known as urban runoff.

scubacalifornia:
(check out www.healthebay.org) before you jump in the water. That place is often a toilet. ...better known as urban runoff.

ICK! Here's what I found:

For the third year in a row, the California "Beach Bummer"—the most polluted beach in California—was Doheny Beach from North Beach to 2000 feet south of San Juan Creek in Orange County (1st). Doheny Beach was awarded the “Beach Bummer” based on the beach area degraded (over a half-mile stretch of beach), the severity of its poor water quality and the number of annual visitors to the beach. (from http://www.healthebay.org/brc/annual/2004/calanalyses.asp)

I want to get wet, but not that badly. We'll wait.

Thanks for the tip...

Marlin

scubacucamonga:
ICK! Here's what I found:

For the third year in a row, the California "Beach Bummer"—the most polluted beach in California—was Doheny Beach from North Beach to 2000 feet south of San Juan Creek in Orange County (1st). Doheny Beach was awarded the “Beach Bummer” based on the beach area degraded (over a half-mile stretch of beach), the severity of its poor water quality and the number of annual visitors to the beach. (from http://www.healthebay.org/brc/annual/2004/calanalyses.asp)

I want to get wet, but not that badly. We'll wait.

Thanks for the tip...

Marlin

There are lots of great dive sites just north of Doheny (in Laguna). In general, the water has a consistently high cleanliness rating at all of them. Just avoid diving within a day or two of a good rain, as the runoff often elevates bacteria levels. You'll find a good listing of those sites at www.lagunaseasports.com.
Dive safe,
Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom