Video HID light for still photogrphy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wanted to add an external strobe to a Canon A80. But it's hard to do for under 400 or $500. Has anyone tried using video lights for still photography? The constant on light would allow easier focusing and framming, let you see the shadows before you take the photo, and would be generally helpfull at night. But the big advantage is cost. I can buy a UK "light canon" and the wide angle difuser for under $200 and it will have uses other then photography. They make a mounting system to stick these lights on an arm too.

I guess the question is the amount of light. The 10W HID bulb looks plenty bright I have not tried it yet. Heck even two of these lights at $180 each is cheaper then one strobe

This question often comes up. I think the general consensus was that they don't output enough power to adaquately light a shot taken at small apertures, but might be ok for other shots.

If you do a search you should find plenty of threads on it. It was definately mentioned recently, in the "Oly Corner" i think.

For macro a good Hid light will produce decent results, but still not as good as using a strobe. I have seen some shots using the UK light Cannon with a diffuser that look pretty good but still not near the quality of what a strobe produces, wide angle, that's much harder to do without spending as much on the HID light as you would on a strobe. one drawback is if either your subject or you are moving you may get some motion blur!

regarding the price good HID video lights cost the same or more than strobes. In reality you get what you pay for, a low budget light may not be very powerful and the beam may not be evenly spread across the angle of view. Also strobes can be used for multiple dives, Hid lights are designed to be run continuously and that eats batteries. Yes you can shut them off and on but they take time to warm up and due to the ballast design, turning them off and on a lot is not all that good.

Strobes will produce a better image.

I sorry, not familar with Canon. If the A80 is a film camera, forget using HID. for digital which is more sensitive than film HID lights can de used but in limited situations

I use a Niterider halogen light as a focus and fill light, but it would not be adaquate as a replacement for a strobe. A single HID would put out more light, but still not enough for anything except closeup. Better get both. :)

SB

chris

the A80 is a canon P&S digital camera. as for the sensitive comment that is always true as each camera is different on its sensitivity and depending on what settings its on. remember its not the camera its the person behind it that makes the picture

Tooth

The A80 is a camera that is capable of full manual control. You will reap the full benefits of adding a strobe to it. A decent strobe will put out much more light in a uniform manner and allow you to shoot at higher shutterspeeds and smaller apertures.

ChrisA:
I wanted to add an external strobe to a Canon A80. But it's hard to do for under 400 or $500. Has anyone tried using video lights for still photography?

Anyone have any real, hard numbers for exposure using an 10 watt HID light. I hear "not enough light" but no exposure data.

I just recently found out that Sunpak makes a "g-flash" strobe. It is waterproof to the recreational limits and retails for under $200.
But they only give the guide number in air. maybe not as much power as others but I don't intend to shoot through more than 3 feet of water

I have no photos taken with an HID but this was taken with a C5050 and Sony's HVL-ML20 20watt continous light:

Program mode, 1/60, f2.6

fbd2971c.jpg

HTH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom