Speaking of 'Cudas, drbill and others......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Seems to me there's been an unusual amount of California cudas in the water recently. I've done 7 dives in the last week or so, and I've seen cudas on 6 of them, including a night dive at Malaga.....

They a seasonal thing?

Saw a number feeding on a large bait ball at a site Capt. Ray called Deadman's (old story about dive buddies, one of whom was sleeping with the other's wife, and whose body was discovered at Pt. Dume a couple weeks later), including this guy....

Chris

I don't think I've had a dive in the Park beyond the edge of the kelp where I haven't seen barracuda including today's first one)... and a few inside the kelp forest as well. Haven't seen them like this in ages. Great opportunity to get some good footage if the vis clears up a bit. Getting some decent stuff already.

Doc

For what it is worth, if you are seeing lots of cudas, then that is a good sign. Predators hang around where the food is plentiful, so if they are hanging around, it (generally) means that the "reef" is healthy.

Wristshot

Wristshot:
For what it is worth, if you are seeing lots of cudas, then that is a good sign. Predators hang around where the food is plentiful, so if they are hanging around, it (generally) means that the "reef" is healthy.

Wristshot

that's good, then,,,,, the last several dives I';ve done (rigs and Catalina) I've seen huuuuuge bait balls, being fed on by sea lions and cudas

It is a seasonal thing here... food is plentiful in summer when the waters warm and several species of baitfish enter our waters. Yellowtail have been in the park this summer as well- divers said they saw a school of 30 of them yesterday.

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom