Crystal River Manatee Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100days-a-year

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
What a weekend!For my darling brides birthday we booked a trip to Crysal River with LDS (Atlantic Pro Dive)The owner,Steve went on this trip to run the boat and keep order.Another couple came with us for the three hour drive.We arrived at lunchtime Sat.loaded up a proceeded to Kings Spring.The spring had just been vacated by about 50 people.Upon arrival we dressed up,splashed and were greeted by 10 or more Tarpon some almost 6-7 feet long.Also in the spring avoiding the cold gulf waters were Snook to 3 feet,jacks and Mangrove snapper.Lo vis due to OW students dive-bombing the bottom ,but it was beautiful.My friend Tom had to rescue one of them (OOA and empty BC)It was textbook complete with a panicked grab at his reg and BC.On the way back to the dock we stopped at Three Sisters spring to dive with about 6-8 manatees from 4-8 ft long.Dinner at Charlies next door to the Hotel was great.Sunday morning we loaded up again to dive Three Sisters .This time there were to many manatees to count at least 20 mostly 8ft or better.My wife got her present as a juvenile about 4ft long swan to her and came face to face as she snorkelled(they don't respond well to scuba)We stayed a coupla hours until the crowd arrived(along with rain)We then beat feet for home.Pics came back yesterday,throwaway cameras rule.Best value for dive anywhere.

Sounds like you had a great time! My g/f likes to go there to snorkel with the manatees, I have yet to go.

One question, where was the instructor or DM when there student was OOA? :confused:

My instructor has video of a newly weaned manatee attempting to nurse on her OW students! You can tell by the looks on their faces that it's a little unsettling to have a manatee start doing a full body search for something resembling a nipple! She has a little footage of the inside of it's mouth when it tried to extract milk from the video housing!
Sounds like you had a great trip!
Ber :bunny:

Back
Top Bottom