Fin with a compromise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrmonk7663

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been researching like crazy on fins and I'm having difficulty deciding what to do. First off, I will be doing mostly recreational diving, in fresh water and salt water. I will dive both weak and moderately strong currents. I desire a good all around fin for this type of diving. I notice that the Jet Fins seem to be really popular...but here is the catch for me. I love going fast. I know most of my diving will be spent at a slow pace most likely but I love going fast every now and then. Is there a fin out there that will allow me to do this? I have been looking at the Mares Quattro but that is about the only one I have found that seems to fit my bill so far (and i'm not convinced that it really does fit the bill yet) My legs are quite strong as well in case this helps. Thanks alot. I know my order is big :) but there has to be a nice compromise out there somewhere.

Have you looked at Force fins? I know some of them you can add things to them to make them react differently.

I've never had problems when I needed to move quickly with my Jets, but I have had to wait for folks with splits and others.

Force Fins are a joke, IMHO.

I have seen force fins that are a joke and I have seen others that are really good. The little V shaped ones are for the most part a joke, especially for the price.

Alright lol, no force fins. Any good options that are in between a jet and a the jet twins? Like I mentioned, the Mares Avanti Quattro seems to be a good blend, but surely there are others, perhaps better than the Quattro for dual purpose. The reason I need the dual purpose is when I was in Ixtapa snorkeling and free diving, there were some pretty strong currents in the water and I was fighting like mad stay off the corral. I was using a full fin but no clue what kind....It cost me $3 to rent full snorkel gear lol. Anyway, the reef was very nice and I would love to dive in this area again and others like it but with the currents like they were, I have to have a fin that can get me through it, but like I said, I love going fast, sometimes at a sustained pace too. Thanks yall.

Having owned mares quattros and and sp jet fins, I think I will have a good answer for this. I liked the quattros, but could not do certain kicks in them that as well as I had wanted to. Kiks such as frog kicks and backwards kicks, etc. I really like my jet fins now and the quattros have sat in the closet for almost 3 years now. The only thing I think I would ever use them for again is maybe snorkeling.

Whatever fins you get, may I suggest you get spring straps for them.

Wendy what about speed though. I have heard the SP Jets are great for tech diving, different kicks, etc etc, but I've heard they suck for speed. Low end acceleration is great but to keep it up it is lots of work. I've never tried them, this is what I have heard. I am by far the strongest with the Flutter kick. I used to have to do flutter kicks everyday in basic training. I've had meany cheapo fins in my time, no clue what brands they were and I could backup with everyone of them just fine, and as far as the other kicks are concerned I don't even know if I know how to do them,and if I do, then I don't know what they are called lol, nor do I know when you use one vs the other style kick...I mainly flutter. So given this, if you were mainly fluttering around, would you pick something else over the jets? Also, honestly, was there a difference in speed and acceleration between the Jets and your Quattros? I still think there has to be something else that fit the dual purpose role well aside from the Quattros. Thanks. Sorry if I'm sounding confusing.

mrmonk7663:
Wendy what about speed though. I have heard the SP Jets are great for tech diving, different kicks, etc etc, but I've heard they suck for speed. Low end acceleration is great but to keep it up it is lots of work. I've never tried them, this is what I have heard. I am by far the strongest with the Flutter kick. I used to have to do flutter kicks everyday in basic training. I've had meany cheapo fins in my time, no clue what brands they were and I could backup with everyone of them just fine, and as far as the other kicks are concerned I don't even know if I know how to do them,and if I do, then I don't know what they are called lol, nor do I know when you use one vs the other style kick...I mainly flutter. So given this, if you were mainly fluttering around, would you pick something else over the jets? Also, honestly, was there a difference in speed and acceleration between the Jets and your Quattros? I still think there has to be something else that fit the dual purpose role well aside from the Quattros. Thanks. Sorry if I'm sounding confusing.

I never did in speed scuba diving. lol Around here its drift diving or caves or hunting, so I have never had a reason to go really fast. But the quattros have a longer blade, so I would assume they are faster, but I coudl be wrong. Sounds like you need to go on a test dive in a pool.

Yah, I definitely need a test dive. I'm going to contact a local person who said she'd lend me some equipment and maybe I can figure it out :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom