Mango Inn, Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tizzy

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion/review about this hotel. I had narrowed down my choices between DBR & LBR when another person found this hotel and asked me to do more research. I wish they would stay off the internet and leave the planning to me. Note to self, never offer to plan a dive trip! Anyway, if someone could share their knowledge it would be aprreciated.

Tizzy

By Utila standards it is a nice hotel with a good restaurant. It has several different room types: shared dorm room to private cabana (prices will very greatly too). It is a little walk up the main hill away from the town / ocean (5-10 minute walk).

bloody good pizzas in the restaurant

If you go to www.utiladivecenter.com there is a video clip for the Mango Inn hotel at the bottom of the homepage, you can also go to www.mango-inn.com but the website is a little dated, there is now a beautiful freshwater pool in the hotel, deluxe cabanas and you're just a short walk from the waterfront but set in tropical gardens.

I don't want sound biased as I work for the Utila Dive Centre but I'd put my own mother in the Mango Inn above anywhere else on Utila, though both DBR and LBR are also a high standard and are located on the water.

Andy

Hi Tizzy

I highly recommend Deep Blue Resort see "Utila Deep Blue Trip Report" on page 2 of this forum and also Advanced Diver Magazine August edition has a 4 page article raving about Deep Blue so I am not the only one.

The Mango Inn is nice but it is in the town which means that you would have to dive with one of the dive schools in town whose primary market is backpackers who come to Utila to learn to dive so the boats you go out on always have students on and very often busy. If you go to a resort then you have a boat to yourself and the resort will cater to your needs specifically. So it really depends on the type of holiday you want.

I don't have a dog in this one!! :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Regards,

Cudabait:
I don't have a dog in this one!! :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Regards,

Is there night life in utila...any bars or fun places to hang out and talk to friends...meet new people?

Looking for somewhere to go next summer and am just doing some research.

Thanks in advance,j

Pam

pammyk:
Is there night life in utila...any bars or fun places to hang out and talk to friends...meet new people?

Looking for somewhere to go next summer and am just doing some research.

Thanks in advance,j

Pam

Pam,

Utila is probably our favorite place to dive. It is not expensive (by most standards). The isalnd is about 7 miles long and two miles wide. The local economy is dive oriented and very competitive. Yes, there are a number of small bars on the island. Utila can probably be described as the Caribbean 40 years ago. I like it.

Regards,

Hi Tizzy,

I just spent seven nights there last week. It's a nice place by local standards. Pleasant staff. Great, fun restaurant with excellent pizzas. The Mango is run by the same folks who own Utila Dive Center, and they offer great package deals with accomodation and diving. I had a great time there, and did some excellent diving with UDC. They've got a fun, mostly young staff, but are all very competent, friendly and very safety conscious. I dove all week there, did AOW, Nitrox and Wreck Specialty courses and have nothing but good things to say about either place. might want to book a cabana at the mango if you are going with a buddy. standard rooms are good for one, but cramped for two. might also want to take a couple of sheets or a lightweight sleeping bag. My sheets were kind of itchy.

have fun. cheers,

depthcharge, aka DB

Back
Top Bottom