Maui Exposure protection for August/Sept

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xanthro

Reaction score
What level exposure protection would people recommend.

I dived mostly off Catalina, where the temps are between 60-62 at depth this time of year. I've been reasonable warm in a standard one piece 7mm for up to three dives a day.

I'm sure 7mm would be overkill for Maui, I also have a 3mm shorty, and a thermal body suit which is nearly as warm as a 1mm.

Should this be enough or do I need a full 3mm?

Xanthro

Since I typically beach dive for extended periods, I wear a 5mm year round. You probably could get by with the 3mm shorty in Sept but if you plan any boat dives, I'd bring the 3mm full.

It all depends on you. I know lots of guys that dive just with their board shorts all year round. Me, I wear my 3mm full suit...but if I live here much longer I think I will get a 5mm for the winter months. I do notice that skinnier people get colder and need a bit more protection.
A full suit would also protect you from brush ups. I see a lot of people come back on the boat with lots of scratches on their legs.

I use either a 3 mil shortie or a 3 mil full on Maui, just depends on how much diving I'm doing. If I'm doing several dives daily I tend to get a bit cool eventually.

Do you need need a hood? I haven't seen any mention of it so far. Wife and I live in Bay Area so use to either full 7mm with hood or dry suit with (wet) hood.

We have full 3mm for Maui next week but not sure if we need a hood or not.

Thanks,

Next week? The water is pretty warm and in the past months (June, July & August) I've only had one guy on the boat with a hood...a very skinny teen, but he was cold with a 3mil full and a 3 mil shorty.

Recently I started wearing a tropical hood. Just a 1 mil hood. Works great.

robstrash:
Do you need need a hood? I haven't seen any mention of it so far. Wife and I live in Bay Area so use to either full 7mm with hood or dry suit with (wet) hood.

We have full 3mm for Maui next week but not sure if we need a hood or not.

Thanks,

I always wear a neoprene "baseball cap". Keeps the top of my head warm, the ears clear of a hood, and the sun off my balding head during gear up and surface swims! I think they are called squid caps.

Aerodog:
I always wear a neoprene "baseball cap". Keeps the top of my head warm, the ears clear of a hood, and the sun off my balding head during gear up and surface swims! I think they are called squid caps.

Luckily I don't have to worry about that (yet?). I think I got the good genes as my brother was losing hair at my age.

Thanks for the ideas. I guess we'll hit Maui Dive Shop if we get cold. We're planning on shore dives Saturday afternoon and Monday, boat dive (Ed Robinson) Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday night.

This week couldn't go any slower. Plane leaves in 26 hours and counting :dance:

I don't know if this helps, but for the past several weeks the water temp in Lahaina has been 81-84 degrees, it dropped to 79 when I was down at 35 feet. So quite warm lately.P.S. a few hours after your arrival I get to start my scuba cert course! So we are both counting down those slowly passing hours lol.

Back
Top Bottom