Surface Interval

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dumb question: What do computers tell you about the surface interval? What I mean is do they tell you how long of an interval you'd need to completely rid yourself of excess nitrogen, do they just count down the interval so far, or do they give a recommended interval?

I have a Cobra, and haven't been able to decipher the manual regarding surface interval.

mccabejc:
Dumb question: What do computers tell you about the surface interval? What I mean is do they tell you how long of an interval you'd need to completely rid yourself of excess nitrogen, do they just count down the interval so far, or do they give a recommended interval?

I have a Cobra, and haven't been able to decipher the manual regarding surface interval.

You tell the computers, they don't tell you.

The computers are programmed to work with whatever surface interval you take.

The basic open water courses teach you take at lease a 60 minute surface interval between NDL dives. But the computer is not going to force you to do it. It has an algorithm built into it, like the dive tables, and it will work with whatever surface interval that you give it.

mccabejc:

Your Cobra calculates surface intervals the same way it calculates tissue loading except in reverse. You'd need to know which "compartment" has the highest 1/2 time but it's probably 600 min which would mean that your computer will clear in a little less than 24 hours.

R..

I dive the Mosquito, and there is a little triangle with an "i" in it. Wait till that dissappears before the second dive (micro bubbling). Alternatively, the computer will compensate for the shorter SI by recalculating your NDL limits for the second dive.

I have a Suunto Mosquito, and from my experience it doesn't give you a recommended Surface Interval time. It will only tell you the SI time that you have spent out of the water between dives. Looks as though you will still have to use your dive table/wheel :wink:

ShakaZulu:
I dive the Mosquito, and there is a little triangle with an "i" in it. Wait till that dissappears before the second dive (micro bubbling). Alternatively, the computer will compensate for the shorter SI by recalculating your NDL limits for the second dive.

I stand corrected, thanks Shaka I never knew that..Doh :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom