So Cal Artificial Reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BSheffron

Reaction score
I understand that there are artificial reef projects off our coast (besides wrecks, intentional or unintentional). Has anyone dove them? Any of them close enough to be a shore dive?

Thanks,

B.

There has to be someone on here that knows about these. Or is it a secret??? Ahhh, yes, you trys to keep the precious for yourselves! We's wants them, we's needs the reefs. Ohh... ahem.. sorry about that. If anyone know of any and is will to let the cat out of the bag. I would be greatful.

Thanks,

Smeagol
I mean B.

I remember that in the '70s off the coast at Zuma there was a reef made from old cable cars and toilet bowls.

That's a pretty dusty memory, but I think I remember going off of Zuma and doing a surface swim of just under a 1/2 mile and then diving it in about 40' of water.

If someone out there remembers this better than I, please chime in. It was so long ago, it'll probably turn out to be off of Venice Beach in 60' of water and made up of engine blocks! :wink:

Just remember, never let the facts get in the way of a good story. :D

Christian

Dear B.,

There is a really active program to get a "sink fleet", i.e. a whole system of sunken ships throughout California similar to the Yukon in San Diego. I am working with Dick Long who sank the Yukon and a very dedicated coalition of people in this state to do just that. We just received an offer of the largest conventionally powered submarine in the US Navy and are investigating that. You can get more info at www.sunkentreasures.org. I'm Master Chief of Sunken Treasures and Senior VP of California Ships to Reefs. We'd love to have your help. Contact me if you want an adventure and to work to make this a reality.
Best,
Harvey S.

As a marine ecologist, I do not mind the creation of artificial reefs but personally do not see them as necessarily advantageous to the local or regional ecology. I have the same feeling re: oil rigs. While they unquestionably attract certain species of marine life, they are often somewhat unnatural assemblages of species with many "missing ecological links."

Recently there has been a proposal in SoCal to add a $1 charge to each tank fill and dedicate the revenue to the State to develop artificial wrecks. I am decidedly opposed to this approach.

One reason? I do 250-350 dives a year so that would end up costing me $250-350 year. Pure self interest motivation there.

Other reason? I think if such a fee were ever seriously considered, it should go instead to protecting our natural reefs, mitigating the negative impacts on them, and implementing effective restoration methods to bring the systems back to a reasonable level of health.

An alternate proposed by others was an annual fee assessed to divers in the range of $30 to fund such projects for the natural reefs. Of course if such a fee were implemented for divers, similar fees scaled to the level of impact should also apply to fishers, personal and commercial watercraft, swimmers, jet skiers, surfers, freedivers, members of the five fathom club (just wanted to make sure you all were still reading this), etc.

As for the funding of artificial reefs, doesn't it make sense to have the Navy (= we taxpayers of course) pay the full expense of decommissioning and sinking these vessels. I understand they can't be recycled due to toxic components (please let me know if that is wrong).

Again, I am not opposed to artificial "reefs" per se and am glad there are those who are interested in working on such projects.

Well, Scott, it looks like it was resuscitated after two years. Amazing the staying power of a SB thread! You just can't kill 'em.

Hope you & Penny have a great holiday weekend. I'm heading out tomorrow thru Sat or Sun to shoot some pix fer ya!

I think there is also a member here that is making some sort of 'reef' at marineland... but that will come about later when it is complete...

good insite from Dr. bill. It would be cool to get our own 'wreck alley' here in LA. and a sub, oh yeah!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom