Roatan ,Fantasy Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, with the title to the post, it may get moved to Central America, or - maybe not?

Welcome to SB. Hope you'll complete your Profile, as that'll help future discussions. Hope to get to know you around the forums.

Scuba from Fantasy Island is wonderful! Love it. Tell Willy at the Dive Shop that Dandy Don from Texas said "Howdy."

The snorkeling there is good, but she'll probably spend more time on the beach. Caution her to spray insect repellent before leaving the room (and you before leaving the dive lockcers) as the sand bugs are a bigger threat. They have beach lounges so she can lay down without getting eaten alive.

Don't put the tap water in your mouth for any reason; they'll put treated water in your room fridge. Use Listerine to rinse your reg after rinsing your equipment. And most people don't follow CDC suggestions of taking Malria preventative, but I do. Don't worry about bats flying around; they eat mosquitoes!! Left my dive bag open to dry one night, and an iguanna left me a present inside. :D

have fun! don

Thanks for the info Don: we were planning on going in February,for 2 weeks ,are there any other things to do at the resort or on the Island , or do you think 2 weeks is to long. Also I dont think the sand flies could be any worse there than the mosquitoes that we had up here in Winnipeg, Manitbo , Canada this year. Jerry

DandyDon:
Yes, with the title to the post, it may get moved to Central America, or - maybe not?

Welcome to SB. Hope you'll complete your Profile, as that'll help future discussions. Hope to get to know you around the forums.

Scuba from Fantasy Island is wonderful! Love it. Tell Willy at the Dive Shop that Dandy Don from Texas said "Howdy."

The snorkeling there is good, but she'll probably spend more time on the beach. Caution her to spray insect repellent before leaving the room (and you before leaving the dive lockcers) as the sand bugs are a bigger threat. They have beach lounges so she can lay down without getting eaten alive.

Don't put the tap water in your mouth for any reason; they'll put treated water in your room fridge. Use Listerine to rinse your reg after rinsing your equipment. And most people don't follow CDC suggestions of taking Malria preventative, but I do. Don't worry about bats flying around; they eat mosquitoes!! Left my dive bag open to dry one night, and an iguanna left me a present inside. :D

have fun! don

jerry ignaszewski:
Thanks for the info Don: we were planning on going in February,for 2 weeks ,are there any other things to do at the resort or on the Island , or do you think 2 weeks is to long. Also I dont think the sand flies could be any worse there than the mosquitoes that we had up here in Winnipeg, Manitbo , Canada this year. Jerry

Use the Search feature on Roatan and Fantasy Island. The sand bugs are bad!

Let's see, FIBR has the only swimming pool and tennis court on the island, I think. They had bicycles to lend last year when I was there, and they arrange island tours. West End for one day is a hoot, but you'll do that when you dive West End.

As much as I love FIBR, I wouldn't stay for 2 weeks. I'd do a week on Utila, except your non-diver may get bored. Mainland tours are nice, but you'll really need the Malaria preventative.

Some people stay on Roatan much longer; just too long for me. I get Rock Fever after a week on one island. :crafty:

Hi Don : Thanks for the info on Fantasy Island , I really appreciate it. I saw the picture you had of the ray in belize ,How did belize compare to Roatan , and where did you go in belize? Jerry

DandyDon:
Use the Search feature on Roatan and Fantasy Island. The sand bugs are bad!

Let's see, FIBR has the only swimming pool and tennis court on the island, I think. They had bicycles to lend last year when I was there, and they arrange island tours. West End for one day is a hoot, but you'll do that when you dive West End.

As much as I love FIBR, I wouldn't stay for 2 weeks. I'd do a week on Utila, except your non-diver may get bored. Mainland tours are nice, but you'll really need the Malaria preventative.

Some people stay on Roatan much longer; just too long for me. I get Rock Fever after a week on one island. :crafty:

jerry ignaszewski:
Hi Don : Thanks for the info on Fantasy Island , I really appreciate it. I saw the picture you had of the ray in belize ,How did belize compare to Roatan , and where did you go in belize? Jerry

I've had so many problems with that computer, I didn't think the photos were uploading. I'll have to look from this one, then try some more.

Belize was nice, but Roatan better. here's a link to my Belize story:

http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=62140

And one to my Roatan story:

http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=34578

Too bad you can't do a week on each, but the best plane connections between the two are via Houston Texas. :11:

Welcome to ScubaBoard! :happywave

Sounds like DandyDon is hooking you up with the 411! Don is Mr. Scuba Travel. He's got to go a long way to see any water that's worth diving, so while he's hopping planes he may as well go to the coolest dive spots around! :crafty:

Dive safe!

Christian

P.S. Due to the high volume of new posts in the Introductions and Greets forum, it's not always possible to keep up with all the new posts here. So, please help me out and send me a PM if you post anything you want me to read or repsond to in this forum.
:palmtree: :sunny

Welcome to the board. I hope you find the information you're looking for. If nothing else, please post a trip report when you return. The board gets better and better, one post at a time...

Best wishes and safe ascents,
Grier

Back
Top Bottom