Catalina Conservancy Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LSanchez

Reaction score
Hi all.

Are there any CCD divers out there? If so, what was/is your thoughts on the program? Like it? Hate it? Waste of time? Too hard?

I've been thinking about taking the research diver training but wondered if it was more geared towards true marine biologists rather than someone looking to help and learn. I have no biology background.

Any info would be great!

LSanchez:
Hi all.

Are there any CCD divers out there? If so, what was/is your thoughts on the program? Like it? Hate it? Waste of time? Too hard?

I've been thinking about taking the research diver training but wondered if it was more geared towards true marine biologists rather than someone looking to help and learn. I have no biology background.

Any info would be great!

...and I know I'm not the only one. Actually, I'm not fully through the program yet - I had to miss the last phase of the training, which I still need to make up before I can actually participate with them, but I plan on doing it as soon as they schedule it.

Quite the contrary to being geared to true biologists - the training is really aimed at just ordinary divers who want to help out. They teach you everything from the basic, beginning level, and are very understanding. The basic training is to get divers ready to be able to help volunteer with them and make sure that there is some consistency to what people are doing. Since most of the research involves counting the life in a given area, the creature id part aims to make sure that everyone knows what a, say, garibaldi is as oppossed to a sheephead, and that they're marking them correctly. The rest of the training - the in water portion, is really just confirming that you can actually dive, are able to id the fish, and know how to use all of the equipment.

I believe that the first part of the training is free and requires no other commitment. That's the fish id lecture, and I would recommend that any diver interested in learning more about the creatures he's diving with attend. It really was eye-opening for me to dive after going to the training to see how much better I was able to distinguish the different types of fish in the water. You can always go to the Phase I to see what it's about, and then if you want to do more, sign up then. If it doesn't appeal, you're only out the $5 parking fee and the afternoon.

If you have any other questions on the training process or the program, feel free to ask, but by all means I would say that the program was a worthwhile one.

I did the lecture thing (not the rest yet, $) and loved it and hope to certify with them soon.
Really want to get into the research diving thing. :)

LSanchez:
Hi all.

Any info would be great!

I went through the program and have seen the results of the program. I myself have not been able to put the time into the research much in the past years, however, it was great learning about the various wildlife around Catalina. I learned alot during that program and I don't regret doing it.

You learn about the wildlife, a little about the research, help a great cause in taking surveys underwater to find out what species are thriving, hurting, or gone in the surrounding waters.

I would reccomend the program to anyone that is interested in learning about native wildlife and it doesn't take that much effort but you get alot out of it.

Kirstin

I've been a member for several years and feel that I have benefitted from the association. If nothing else, what saf says about the marine species ID class is true; it greatly enhanced my understanding and appreciation of what we have locally.

Just wondering, after checking your profile, but how new to diving are you? There are slates and other items to keep track of on research dives, if that's what you are wondering.

OK - any guys in the CCD, or is it all SoCal chicks all the time?

(Maybe I need to look into this thing....)

K

I have not heard of this - could I get more info on who they are and when the lectures are held?

TIA!

When I was V.P. of the Catalina Conservancy, I was involved in some of the CCD activities and was (still am) very supportive of the group and its programs to educate about and preserve the marine environment. I helped do a little training in the mid-90's and would enjoy being involved again as soon as time permits.

Dr. Bill

voln:
I have not heard of this - could I get more info on who they are and when the lectures are held?

TIA!

They are held at the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium in San Pedro, so you can check out the animals right there. Check out the website - www.ccd.org. Things may not be updated (hey, it's a volunteer organization!) but it'll give you an idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom