Wondering about U/W Video equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randall

Reaction score
I'm thinking about going to underwater video. What are your opinions for a good entry level Camcorder/housing/lights setup? I have a Sony TRV67, but don't know of any housings for it.

Your camera will fit in their Pro-Pak 6. It's all mechanical controls though.

I think they're fairly reasonably priced.

I've seen them on eBay occasionally.

So far I've been happy with my Light & Motion housing, and I have a Sony as well.

Randall:
I'm thinking about going to underwater video. What are your opinions for a good entry level Camcorder/housing/lights setup? I have a Sony TRV67, but don't know of any housings for it.

You might want to take a look at Ikelite or Undersea Video Housings. They might have a housing for it.

I'd skip lights for now. Do you have a budget ? Underwater video can be a very expensive hobby.

sjspeck......I'm interested in the Equinox series. They are in my price range. Have you used them? If so let me know. Thanks to all of you that responded, for the help. :wink:

I have had a lot of luck with both Gates and Light and Motion housings. A nice, quality entry level set up would be the Sony HC-40 camera with a Light and Motion Stingray III housing package (Elite lighting system). I have sold a few of these since the housing was released this month. Everyone has been extremely satisfied and the quality is great. The HC 40 is one the hottest selling cameras on the market due to its size, quality and price.

If you want to go a step up, look at the new Sony PC350 (or if you can get a hold of a PC 330 for a good deal, go for it).

PM me with any questions you may have.

Mike

Randall:

6035.28 -sp ikelite model number .....they are discontinuing this...call me 877 ok scuba if you want me to check on that

No, I never have used one.

regards,

Steve

I have been using Equinox housings on my Sony Camcorders for several years. I curently use the TRV-950 in a Pro 6 housing with monitor back and a pair of UK 100 light cannons for video lights.

I have never had any issues with the housings. I have even modified the controls to fit from one camcorder to another.

The price is right and the housings do all I need them to do.

Randall:

Randall,

Check out the "generic" housing by Aquatix (www.aquatix.com). They're very reasonable (starting @ $359) and will work with a wide variety of video cameras. I bought mine without controls and the only negative I can pass on is that it can be an inconvience to have to turn-on and load the camera pre-dive. Never-the-less, I do find that the "always" on mode is the best way to go. You won't miss chance shots due to having to get the camera back on and recording. And if you use the longer life batteries and longer run tapes, you'll never miss a minute of the dive! Heck - I find that most boat dives are run a length of no more than 50 mins at depth, so 60 min tapes will do nicely as well).
I also like the lack of controls as this is one less failure point in the potential flood problem (they use a nice "X" ring on the front cover, and that is the only potential entry point). I have nearly a hundred hours on the housing and never a drop has bee in the housing (as well as no foging issues - ever!)
Lastly, when (if?) you decide to go with a "fancier" system, you ought to lose a minimum of $ on the resale. I've been offered $300 (un-solicited) and imagine that you'd have little problem getting $250 later on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom