New Approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Semper Dive

Reaction score
I am going to try something new this weekend. I hunt on a wreck that has water conditions that are absolutely perfect for young mako sharks. I have seen young makos (65-85#'s)
completely tear up albacore that were at the side of my boat (just about to be gaffed) while fishing with rod and reel. Although this was considerably offshore, I was amazed at how one small shark can come in at flying speed and with amazing accuracy and efficiency chomp a 20# albacore in half.
These shark pups do not come in solo. I have seen them come in in threes and fours. They compete very aggressively with each other to make the hit. So what I am saying is the second or third mako could miss the fish and hit me or my buddy. They surely will not stay and chew but a hit could cause major injury.

So when I am doing my safety stops and ascent from 130 fsw I get a nervous feeling while holding a fish that is fresh and bleeding. Makos generally like blue water and cruise inshore on the 30 fathom curves. Young pups will come in closer. They love to follow the mackeral schools.

I am going to take a large electrical tie and run it through the
fishes gill and out the mouth and around the anchor line. The fish can slide down and go on the anchor line at any point I choose in the water column. I will take up necessary slack. This way, the fish will not be hanging at my side but down at the anchor. It will remain fresh in the cooler water under the thermocline and we will retrieve them when we pull the anchor. There are no Sea Lions in and around the wrecks I dive. We are somewhat off the beach and not in an area desireable to them.

Just a suggestion. At 64 plus degrees in clear blue water Mr.
Mako cruises. If you are at or near the 30 fathom curve they will surely be out there. Blues usually show up first. I will let you know how it works and if someone can explain how to upload a photo I will do so.

I think it is much safer to be seperated from a bleeding fish then carrying it to the deck. It will also allow me to concentrate on my off gasing excercises and reduce nervousness.

Semper Dive:
I am going to take a large electrical tie and run it through the
fishes gill and out the mouth and around the anchor line.

Similar to what lots of Florida spearo's do over here if they have sharky waters. Some will tie off their stringers to a lift bag and shoot it to the surface to be retrieved quickly by the topside boat captain. Pretty effective they claim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom