Recommendations needed for Wakiki?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Have a great invite to share a condo in Wakiki. Any recommendations for LDS, charters, dive sites?

shoot... I wish my memory was better....
We had a great time there with a boat dive outfit not too far from Wakiki....it was within walking distance. We did a 100fsw dive on a sunken ship and then a reef dive looking at turtles. There was a tourist submarine that they scheduled for the same time as the dive charters so the participants in each could watch one another. It was fun!:D

Pug

If your dive was off wakiki i did the same one. I beleive the wreck is called the YO-257 an old WWII navy oiler.

An excellent dive, great vis (80+) warm H2o, the 2nd dive was some reef where we dove with a few turtles. I perfered the wreck.

Andy

oh yeah, it was $120 - 150 for just a half day. way to pricey, i can do a half day to the Yukon in SD for $65.

Originally posted by trymixdiver
oh yeah, it was $120 - 150 for just a half day. way to pricey, i can do a half day to the Yukon in SD for $65.

Yikes! I don't remember the price and it was a while back...
But I know me and I wouldn't have paid anywhere near that...
But that sure sounds like the dive....

BTW did you get my PM?

I was not happy about the cost of the dive. It was a great dive but i think i would have perferred to beach dive all day. No need to spend that kinda $ for a half day when you can beach dive all day for the cost of food, air, tanks and weights.

We took our own wet suits, snorkeling gear, regs, and BC. We just rented weightbelts and tanks.

Come to think of it we had just as much fun snorekeling as we did diving. That was free too!

Andy

I lived right in the middle of Waikiki Beach, about 2 blocks from the beach, for 6 months. The shore diving on that half of the island generally requires a lot of walking to get to the beach. Hanuama Bay is a really nice dive, but you have to take the little bus with your equipment down to the beach and back up to the parking lot. There's a shore dive at The Blow Hole which was OK, but it was steep walk down to the water. Then there's a shore dive at Electric Beach where you just follow a big outflow pipe. They see dolphins here once in while. This was the easiest entry shore dive I did out there and is a very popular dive site for newer divers.

The only boat dive I did out there was with Aaron's Dive Shop to the Mahi wreck (90') and a shallow reef for the second dive. The charter was fine, and the Mahi dive was great. The wreck itself wasn't much (just a tug), but there are two resident spotted eagle rays there as well as a bigger moray and supposedly a resident shark (we didn't see the shark). Just prior to jumping into the water a whale and her cub surfaced right next to the boat. As soon as we hit the water, they were gone. I saw fin flip in the water and that was it. The shallow reef wasn't too impressive, but we did see dolphins up close on the way to the reef. The cost of the charter wasn't bad ($70ish?), and I was particulary impressed with the female dive master that did both dives in a bikini :tease:.

Have fun!

Mike

There are a few wrecks out on the south side of the island - the Waikiki/Ala Moana area. I've never been to them, but i believe there are two pretty close together that can be seen on one dive.
One is a fighter plane that the pilot was able to eject out of - apparently lots of people like to get in the cockpit for a photo op.

The Mahi is out on the west side of the island, in Waianae. It's about a 1 - 1 1/2 hour drive out to the harbor from Waikiki, but many operators provide shuttle service from Waikiki. Just dove it last week - it was nice - the group of rays that circle the wreck were the best part. Haven't seen any sharks. However, on the way to the second dive site (Makaha Caverns) we did see 3 whales hanging around - only about 20 feet away. We stopped to get a better look - way cool.

I did my OW certification dives at Electric Beach - it is a very popular site for beginning divers, and the parking lot can get very crowded. Best to get there early for a space. Depending on the time of year you come will determine how many shore dive sites are available. Many are on the north shore, which are really only diveable from April to November, depending on surf conditions.

Check out Captain Bruce's, who I've heard is a good dive operator. Haven't had a chance to go out with them yet, but they do dives out of the west, east and south harbors (something that other operators may not do). Additionally, based on the newsletters they send me, they do drift dives, "really deep" dives (don't know how deep that is) and other type of dives that the other operators may not do (because they're on a set schedule). Prices that I've seen average about $95 for a two tank boat dive, which includes tanks and weights.

I live on Oahu about 15 minutes away from Waikiki. As you would expect, I've scouted out all the dive shops on the island before choosing one to go dive with. My recommendation would be to go with Aaron's Dive Shop (the same shop mentioned in a previous reply). They are based out of Kailua, but will pick you up in Waikiki, bring you to the boat (in Hawaii Kai), and bring you back afterward. You can avoid paying long-distance by calling them at (888)84-SCUBA. Everyone on the boat and at the shop is pretty awesome.

I have a 14 y/o girl that I bring diving with me, so I appreciate the high level of professionalism and emphasis on safety that I see on every charter with Aaron's. I always go diving with Jeff since he's a fun guy to be around, but like I said, everyone is pretty awesome so you really can't go wrong. There are some great sites they go to, including a WW2 Corsair at about 100'-105', an upside down army landing craft (where a lot of sharks like to hang out) at about 85'-95', and a "turtle cleaning station" where you can see many green sea turtles at any given time. Lately there have been a lot of whales, dolphins, and rays around too.

Holy necropost, Batman!

That said, why anyone wants to dive Hawaii Kai from Waikiki is beyond me. The Corsair is nice to dive once, but there's a good deal more to see on the YO/San Pedro/Wings and Sea Tiger, which are just off Waikiki itself. Traffic between HK and Waikiki sucks.

Aarons is great, however.

Back
Top Bottom