coco view - roatan trip rpt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lakesdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Left from Detroit. Security clearance no problem. As usual, mask, reg, log, and camera in carry-on. Taca from Houston to Roatan. Again, no problem clearing security. One hint. Remember to put your big dive watch through the conveyor or you'll trip the alarm, which only slows you down a bit.

Taca: coach now pays an additional $20 tax (security) AND they've replaced what I thought was great (for an airline) food with the kind of garbage you get on u.s. carriers. Named their "deli snack". A cheap Subway knock-off. Not good. Fewer passengers, too. For the first time in 9 trips, the flight was not sold out.

Coco/Roatan: Weather not the usual 82 & sunny every day. Upon arrival it was cold enough (mid 70's) that all the locals were wearing jackets or sweatshirts! Weather variable all week. Windy and cloudy one day. Calm, sunny and hot the next. Rainy the next. (Kind of like our Michigan winter has been.)

For those who've been there before, Lauray has left. She decided 4 years was enough and booked to Hawaii. Glenda has now taken over as activities director. I think she'll be fine, but there will be a learning curve.

Osman was our divemaster. His back is apparently better. He certainly seemed in no pain. Reuben was boat captain. Very competant, but quiet, since his english is limited.

Saw lots of scorpion fish this week. Nurse shark, too. Osman saw two whale sharks at 40 foot point, but they'd left by the time we got there. Everyone on all three boats saw lots of seahorses. Don't know why there were more this time than others, but...

We had a full moon, so there was lots of fun doing the "lights off" night dives.

Took the "dinner out" option on Thursday. Went to Gia's. Very good food. Our group mostly had seafood. The lobster/crab plate is HUGE. Wife and I opted for the Honduran Tipico. Rice, chicken, and tortillas, which was also very good. Don't look for a huge wine selection. We drank their only bottle of chianti.

This time I earned my "free land package" certificate, so we're headed back in August (it has a one year expiration date). A fun trip.

Thanks for the report, Rick. I knew Lauray was planning on leaving but I thought she’d still be there for our visit. I’ll miss her but I’m sure she taught Glenda all her tricks before she left!

TACA – Is the $20 security fee due and payable at the checkin counter? Sorry to hear about the food change. As long as they serve the drinks BEFORE the dry bread sandwiches we’ll survive. I think I’ll pack some trail mix just in case! Wonder if our flight will be full?

Did you say Whale Sharks? Sorry you didn’t get to see them. Hopefully they’ll stay in the area until we get there. Forty Point reef isn't that far away! Maybe the weather will straighten out in the next couple of weeks, too. One great thing about the shore diving at CCV is it doesn’t matter what the weather is doing. We’ll have a full moon too while we’re there. The Prince Albert is really cool in moonlight!

What did you think about all the additions? I imagine the hot tub stayed full the whole week. This was your tenth trip? WTG! We’re a bit behind you…this will be our fourth but we’re working on it!

Co Co View, Co Co View Coconut

You brought back some good memories of our recent trip to Co Co View.

When I think back about what we did not like it really had nothing to do with Co Co View. I think we would have had a much better outlook had we not have been outsiders. A group booked what they thought was the whole resort and were surprised to see us. We also were sick a few days.

Outside of this it was a great place!

Is Bob still the Nitrox guy?

Dee,
The $20 is just added to your ticket price. And the drinks ain't as often as they used to be, either. Take the trail mix!

Talked to Bill Evans. He said after 9/11 the TACA guys were ready to pull out of Roatan alltogether, since the planes were pretty empty.

Take heart! This was my ninth trip. The 10th is the freebee. See, you're closer now than you thought, eh?

Triggertravel,
Yes, Bob is still the nitrox guy. Took great care of us, too.

I'm glad the Bob is still there, he takes excellent care of everyone.

I guess I better be ready to pay the $20 at the counter. We bought our tickets well before 9/11 and I doubt they'll pass up a chance to collect more $$.

Thanks again for your report...I can hardly wait another 2 weeks!

Flying to Roatan after 9/11

I visited Co Co View in September just after 9/11. The security in San Pedro Sula was much more stringent than in the US. My family could not believe we went during this time to a 3rd world country.

This made me feel a little nervous until I spoke with some of the locals on Roatan. They are terrified of places like Miami where the violent crime is so much higher than Roatan. This was quite a paradigm shift for me.

I guess the airlines are so strict leaving the country so they do not lose their rights to fly into the US. By being overly cautious it keeps the US off their backs.

What is the American's name that handles the real estate? How is he doing?

I really liked Bill however his wife is a little uppity for me? :eek:ut:

Originally posted by triggertravel
Flying to Roatan after 9/11
What is the American's name that handles the real estate? How is he doing? :eek:ut:

Joel Turnbow handles the real estate. He seems to be doing ok. Heard no word from him that he was ready to bail.

Back
Top Bottom