Spearfishing rules in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MtDoraBubba

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Rob. I'm a newbie.
Can someone please tell me the rules of where spearfishing is allowed in Florida.
I heard somewhere that spearfishing is not allowed within 3 miles of shore. Is this true and is it the same in the gulf?
Even if it is legal are there places close to shore where good catches can be taken.
I've looked at the rules at the FWC site and can't find anything about distances from shore.
I live just north of Orlando, but am planning on making trips to Tampa and south Florida.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, MtDoraBubba

MtDoraBubba:
Hi, I'm Rob. I'm a newbie.
Can someone please tell me the rules of where spearfishing is allowed in Florida.
I heard somewhere that spearfishing is not allowed within 3 miles of shore. Is this true and is it the same in the gulf?
Even if it is legal are there places close to shore where good catches can be taken.
I've looked at the rules at the FWC site and can't find anything about distances from shore.
I live just north of Orlando, but am planning on making trips to Tampa and south Florida.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, MtDoraBubba

There are rules concerning the size and number of fish you can catch and the types of fish you can catch. These are posted by the State of Florida Department of Natural Resources and the Florida Marine Patrol. The size of the fish you are permitted to take may change and you should update you information yearly. Most boating and tackle shops also have this information.

If you are 16 or older (up to 65 I believe) you must have a salwater permit to harvest (catch) fish...spear or hook and line. Certain species of creatures require additional permits or stamps, ie., lobster, snook, etc. A saltwater permit is not good for freshwater...duh!

The size fish you may spear are exactly the same as if you caught the same fish on a hook and line. You are, however, more limited as to the type of fish you can take while spearfishing. Generally, "gamefish" are prohibited and specifically, you may not take snook, ever, with a spear. Nassau Grouper may not be taken by spear or hook and line. Crustaceans may not be taken by spear.

There are seasons and catch limits for lobster and stone crab.

You may not take any shells, even if there is no live animal, you cannot spear turtles or even bother them and you may not take marine mammals.

There are limitations as to where you may spearfish....generally imposed by the city or county you are diving in. There is a no spearfishing area in the Keys. Technically, you cannot even have a spear or speargun in the car or boat if you are in this area. In reality if the gear is well stowed and you are "passing through" the area, you are PROBABLY ok. Farther down in the Keys, you are permitted to spearfish but you must be at least one mile from A1A or US1. You may not spear in and around docks.

In some parts of Miami-Dade County, you have to stay away from docks and marinas. Most sea walls are private property and diving for lobster would be trespassing.

You may not spearfish in any bodies of freshwater in the State of Florida. You are permitted to dive in freshwater however.

I'm sure there are more local regulations which I don't know.

For reasons that I cannot fathom, I can only catch a limited number of "legal" snapper on a given day but some guy in a boat can get into a school of dolphin (fish) and take all he wants......hmmmm.....

Larry Stein

Thanks for the information guys. I'm impressed by the amount of help that i've seen people give on this board. It's good to see people sharing their knowledge and being so neighborly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom